From:
"Debra J. Levin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 09:23:01 -0700
The forwarded message is a hoax according to the Seattle Post
Intelligencer. They investigated this bill and found it to be false. I do
not remember the date of the article but the newspaper does have an on-line
section and it probably can be accessed. If there are any questions, please
contact me.

SNIP
>> > Email Surcharge - Bill 602P - The Post Office's plan to charge us all
>> > for e-mail
>> >
>> > Please read the following carefully if you intend to stay online and
>> > continue using email:
>> >
>> > The last few months have revealed an alarming trend in the Government of
>> > the United States attempting to quietly push through legislation that
>> > will affect your use of the Internet. Under proposed legislation, the
>> > U.S. Postal Service will be attempting to bill email users with
>> > "alternate postage fees".
>> >
>> >  Bill 602P would permit the Federal Govt to charge a 5 cent surcharge on
>> > every email delivered, by billing Internet Service Providers at the
>> > source. The consumer would then be billed in turn by the ISP.

SNIP