From:
Bobbi Cordy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 12:37:14 -0500
Unio wrote:

> In a message dated 98-03-04 11:28:34 EST, Dennis Hora wrote:
>
> << There is just one point which makes me somewhat reluctant to this
>  hobby:  I just wonder if the younger generation would continue to
>  collect shells considering the fact of environmental protection programs
>  implemented by both the government and non-government organizations.
>   >>

> This honestly this is a major concern that I have relating to my children's
> involvement in the hobby.  I have been involved in the hobby for 25 years and
> there are species that I cannot legally collect that those before me collected
> in fair numbers.  There are also species that I have collected that my
> children cannot legally collect.  I am not just referring to freshwater and
> terrestrial species, but also marine; especially in Florida.  My family and I
> hope to vacation in the Florida Key later this year, but I wonder if there
> will even be a place where we can legally collect anything.  Scientific
> Permits for marine species are such a bear to obtain in the state of Florida.
> Limitations on a fishing liscence are not very encouraging either.   If I am
> discouraged now, what will it be like for the coming generations? and when are
> our bureaucrats going to learn that the way so save species is by protecting
> habitat?  "Progress" is killing our molluscan friends and we are the ones who
> are restricted, not the developers.  Just my 2-cents.
>
> Doug Shelton
> Alabama Malacological Research Center
> 2370-G Hillcrest Road #236
> Mobile, AL 36695
Doug...I understand most of the keys are now protected...a person to
contact would be Homer Rhodes. Homer lives in the Keys and has shelled
there for years.  I don't think he is on-line...but I can get you his
address.
A lot of the "Protection" we are finding is being put on my hotel
owners,etc. and is really not legal.  Many of the hotels and dive boats
in Florida and the Bahamas are now making it illegal to collect shells.
We always stay away from the big hotels and dive boats and do our own
thing.
Being discrete helps...don't look like a shell collector:  Hide shells
in pockets or wet suits rather than in collecting containers that are so
obvious.
Bobbi