From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 17:10:09 +1200
I don't know of any experts on Lucinidae, but perhaps this will help.

Anodontia edentula (Linne 1758) is very similar to the SE US A. alba. It
doesn't seem to appear often in the popular literature, but is illustrated
in Abbot & Dance 1982 "Compendium of Seashells" and T. Kira 1965 third
edition 1972 "Shells of the Western Pacific in Color Vol 1". It supposedly
lives on muddy bottoms, though all of my Fiji specimens were dredged in
backreef coral sand, where it is extremely common. I guess it is just
possible that these were washed in, as a few Neritina and Thiara occur in
these dredgings also, but due to their abundance I suspect they were living
in the sand as dredged (the sand is used in making concrete and is
accessible to collectors at the cementworks at Lami, just on the west
boundary of Suva. It's full of shells, including quite a few Acteon
virgatus etc).

It is white, thinshelled, subcircular, well-inflated, up to about 60mm
length, slightly less in height and thickness. Beaks are small,
prosogyrous, slightly formard of center. The hinge is edentulous, slightly
sinuous, with a long internal posterior ligament. Muscle scars radially
striate, anterior one elongate and diagonal (posteriorly-directed
ventrally), posterior smaller and somewhat reniform. Pallial line entire,
composed of small dotted attachment scars, each of which has shallow groove
leading up into umbo, giving entire interior radially-striate appearance.
Exterior smoothish, with irregular growth-wrinkles and occasional fine
randomly-oriented wrinkles. Radial ornament almost obsolete, restricted to
faint radial lines at anterior and posterior ends. Lunule small, very
narrow, deep, sharp-edged.

Do you know of anyone who has an Olympus MZ binoc macroscope? I'm desparate
to get a Leeds LMA-600 Image Erector to counter the inverted image the MZ
gives.

Regards
ndrew Grebneff