Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 14:39:33 -0500
Thomas E. Eichhorst wrote,
"Does anyone know the history or have any knowledge of Ficus
caloosahatchiensis (Smith) from east Honduras?  It is apparently listed in
Tom Rice's price guide but is not a species with which I am familiar.
 Could it be a fossil?"

Good guess, Tom. "Caloosahatchiensis" means "from Caloosahatchee". The
Caloosahatchee Formation is (more or less) that sequence of
Pliocene-Pleistocene sandy shell beds that everyone raves over in
Sarasota--and on the Caloosahatchee River--in southern Florida. I say "more
or less" because the stratigraphic nomenclature has been in flux for some
years, and frankly I haven't followed the arguments. But it doesn't matter,
because that's probably what it meant when the species was named.

Incidentally, I read somewhere that it's usually a good idea to keep a
Latin name down to 6 syllables or fewer. The wonderful name
"caloosahatchiensis" pushes the envelope with 7 syllables, but its
syllables are brief and easily pronounced.

Andrew K. Rindsberg
Geological Survey of Alabama