From:
Emilio Jorge Power <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:58:20 -0400
Nancy Smith wrote:

> nevermind, i found what a liguus is!  <G>  I only see two protected
> molluscs on the FL listings; Liguus fasciatus and Orthalicus reses.  This
> is at:  http://www.nsis.org/wildlife/wildlife-pr-moll.html
>   and also http://sun6.dms.state.fl.us/gfc/pubs/endanger.html
>
> is there a more appropriate mollusc oriented listing of species that should
> be left alone?  If so, anyone please either send it to me (please) or point
> me to it via the web.  Thanks!!!

Hello!
 So glad you found out what Liguus are. As long as you do not look into
forested
areas of the Keys you will not have any problems.

The Orthalicus are a bit worse than Liguus for collecting. The Orthalicus reses
reses Say
and the Orthalicus reses nesodryas Pilsbry are on the engdagered species list
(Federal).

The Orthalicus floridensis Pilsbry may be listed as threatened by the Feds. Not
sure on
this one.

The Liguus are only listed by the State as threatened. But there is a
collecting ban in
effect everywhere.

Sorry but I do not know much about the sea molluscs. Just be aware of the new
preserves and refuge areas in the Keys. The Everglades Park is off limits to
collecting of any animal except sport fishing with the correctly dated and
stamped
fresh/saltwater license. The park limits extend into Florida Bay for quite some
miles.

Later,

Emilio Jorge Power

Please visit;