From:
Kay Lavalier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:32:36 -0400
Andrew Vik
Tampa, FL., USA

Emilio Jorge Power wrote:

> Sorry but I do not know much about the sea molluscs. Just be aware of the new
> preserves and refuge areas in the Keys. The Everglades Park is off limits to
> collecting of any animal except sport fishing with the correctly dated and
> stamped fresh/saltwater license.

I have always thought that it is highly unfair to allow fishing but not shelling in
a sanctuary.
After all, fish are living things too and should be given the same protection as
the other life in these areas. What galls me is that shelling is viewed as
destructive while fishing is not. Anyone who has snorkeled or dived can testify to
the litter that fishermen leave behind
( poisonous lead weights, sharp hooks and lures, miles of entangling mono filament
line). Not to knock fishing, which I also enjoy, but I just don't see why the
powers that be think that shelling is worse for the environment.

Andrew