From:
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 15:24:08 -0600
> Would someone be kind enough to post narrative descriptions of Cypraea mus
> and Cypraea mus donmoorii for comparison.
>
> thank you!!
> Nancy

Nancy,

I would rather just send a scanned image, but for what it's worth:

Cypraea mus is a drak shell, brown colored with very dark brown spotting on
the dorsum.  There are hardly any areas where a lighter, gray color shows
through (along the mid dorsal line).  The dorsum is smooth.  Cypraea mus
donmoorii is light colored -- a light tan with dark tan mottling and a group
of very dark brown spots down the mantle line of the back (pretty close to
down the middle).  The dorsum has a "bump" on the anterior end.  Both have
dark teeth but due to the lighter tan coloring, Cypraea mus donmoorii shows
an orange colored blotch on the base about mid-way on the inner teeth side
(Cypraea mus has a brown base).  I also believe Cypraea is usually smaller
in size.

Hope this helps.  Just say the word and I'll scan them both and send you the
images.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA