From:
Stewart Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 16:28:36 -0500
You are absolutely right, Vicky.  Don't let these Sanibel folks kid you.
There are no Wentletraps on Sanibel!  I have been shelling there once or
twice a year for 25 years and haven't found a Wentletrap yet.  That is the
ONLY shell which the locals CLAIM to have on Sanibel that I have not found
(even found a Lion's paw)--well, except for the Junonia, which condominium
keepers regularly "seed" outside their establishments to have them found and
reported in one of the weekly papers.

You know, in years past the  Chinese made fake copies of the Precious
Wentletrap out of rice paste and sold them for thousand of dollars.  In
those days they were as scarce as flying pigs.  So don't buy another
Wentetrap without soaking it in water first.

By the way, the same goes for buying a flying pig.

Stew