From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 19:13:39 -0400
Dear collegues,

Traditionally, we have applied "amphiatlantic" to benthic taxa only.
[Talavera, F. G., 1982.  Los moluscos gasteròpodos amfiatlànticos (estùdio
paleo y biogeogràfico de las especies bentonicas litorales). Colecciòn
Monografias 10 , Secretariado de Publicaciones de la Universidad de La
Laguna, La Laguna, Canary Is., pp. 1-351.; Vermeij, G. J. and G. Rosenberg,
1993. Giving and receiving: the tropical Atlantic as donor and recipient
region for invading species. Amer. Malac. Bull. 10(2): 181-194. Dec.].

Harry

At 08:31 PM 10/6/99 -0100, you wrote:
>Dear collegues:
>
>I am just finishing a paper about the biogeographical relationships of the
>shallow-water marine molluscs of the Azores and a question as arised.
>Does anyone have a definition for an amphi-Atlantic species? Should we
>consider as amphi-Atlantic the pelagic species like Janthina or Spirula?
>
>Thank you
>
>Best wishes,
>
>Sérgio

> Sergio Avila, Dr.
> Departament of Biology
> Marine Biology Section
> University of the Azores
> 9500 Ponta Delgada
> AZORES
> PORTUGAL
> http://www.uac.pt/db/bmarinha/sa/molazores.html
>Best wishes,

Harry G. Lee
Suite 500
1801 Barrs St.
Jacksonville, Fl. 32204
USA   904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm