From:
Marlo Krisberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 19:07:29 -0700
To reopen an old discussion.  A "trade" is a barter transaction involving the exchange of items of
value.  That makes it a direct purchase - sale transaction without involvement of an intermediary,
promissory note.   (That's what money is.  In fact, it says so right on the front of all U.S.
dollars.)(the IRS and all the states also say so.)  Money is a promise you give at the time you
receive a good or service that you will complete the exchange in the future by giving a good or
service of the same value; maybe not to the same person for the exact thing/service you just
received, but to someone.   The beauty of the invention of  "money" (as opposed to personal
promissory notes) is that these notes are completely negotiable with anyone who believes everyone
else will also accept it for goods and services of the face value.  The fact that you pay someone
else off to fulfill your promise does not alter the fact that what's going on is a delayed trade.
You may not be "trading" directly goods for goods (shells for shells) if you use money, but you
traded your services (work) to obtain money so you could "trade" it for other goods or services.
Money is a "facilitator" to permit easy and delayed trades in a totally negotiable economy.

It is more accurate to say that those who buy using money are trading than to say those who are
trading are not buying.

The following is from the last round of emails on this subject (ignore if you wish).

"Paul,

Thanks for your very perceptive words.  I have had difficulty for years getting many to understand
that the use of money to acquire goods or services is no more than a trade delayed.  Money is simply

a promisory note given for a good or service in the present in exchange for a good or service in the

future.  No one would accept money for goods or services if they didn't have confidence that it
would be accepted in the future for goods and services.  Money can take the form of currency,
personal checks, negotiable securities, shells (money cowries), gold, etc.  Money was a very useful
invention utilized to deal with the problems inherent with barter.  But, everyone should realize
that it is a device to facilitate commerce and the exchange of goods or services, not a repository
of inherent value.  Money (and particularly confidence in the dollar, which if you will all recall
was backed by gold until Nixon) has been around so long that people forget that it would be
worthless if everyone did not have confidence in everyone elses' willingness to accept it as a
promissory note for goods
or services.  Only goods and services have any real value.  And, the direct exchange of them has
represented a "purchase and sale" transaction before money was ever invented.  Once confidence is
lost in a particular form of money, it becomes worthless.  It will not be accepted.  If anyone
questions the validity of this, try a little experiment.  Pay for your next purchase of shells from
one of Conch-L's member dealers with a personal check (one form of money).  Make sure there are
sufficient funds to permit the dealer to exchange it for dollars (another form of money).  Next time

do the same, but don't have any dollars in the bank to cover the check.  After the check bounces and

the dealer is unable to obtain dollars for your check, see if the dealer will accept your check a
third time.  And, if you are still not persuaded, then I've got a trunk full of authentic, old,
non-collector quality Confederate currency with which I'd like to buy your house (or car, or should
I say horse).  After all, it was valid currency once.