From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 15:26:45 -0600
Hi all limpet lovers,
This is a very technical question (why and how limpets are more conical at
the higher-energy swash zone than lower on the beach).  I couldn't even begin
to say how but I have heard that it is advantageous to limpets to be more
conical where they are more exposed to protect them from temperature
extremes.  The idea is that the water in the apex of the shell provides a
measure of protection against overheating, and against cooling to a lesser
degree.
I just got back from a week on the west coast (a near first for me) and saw
many, many limpets.  I collected some and and still having fun identifying
them.  I can attest to the stats discovered by our student as the limpets
(still haven't figured out which type) I saw in one bay on rocks right at
high tide were very highly conical, as high as a Whitecap Limpet (Acmaea
mitra).
A good work on natural history of mollusks is "Living Marine Molluscs", by
C.M. Yonge and T.E. Thompson, published in 1976 by Collins, London. This book
has good info on limpets and may also have some more detailed listings in the
bibliography.