From:
John Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 17:46:18 -0400
>Haustellum gallinago is an intriguing possibility.  The shape and sculpture
>match pretty closely.  It is supposed to be from Japan, but this wouldn't be
>the first Japanese shell to turn up in the Philippines.  However, the
>Japanese specimens are small, drab colored, and virtually spineless.  Mine
>are larger, brightly marked, and have short, sharp spines.  I'm still
>looking at this possibility though.
>
>However, I am starting to lean more toward Murex kiiensis.  Any opinions on
>this?
>
>Paul M.

I have a gallinago from Bohol; 84 mm (what size is yours?) It is a poor
specimen, but it is pretty closeto yours. It has more spines than yours and
still shows some of the color banding. It also has the same angle of the
siphonal canal; kiiensis (mine at least) has a much sharper angle.

John Wolff
2640 Breezewood Dr.
Lancaster, PA 17601, U.S.A.