From:
Nancy Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:44:15 -0400
Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on getting good results with
scanning specimens directly on a flatbed scanner.   I have never even
remotely considered myself "graphically challenged", as a matter of fact it
is a forte of mine, however I have not been able to get decent looking
direct scans of specimens, most especially those very shiny ones like
Cypraea.  I have seen sites where the author has obviously scanned the
images directly and has had them come out quite good (however he appears
not to want to share his methodology), so I know it's possible.  I've tried
various approaches to this, all with no acceptable results.   Of course I
realize that the best quality images are going to be photographic but when
one begins cataloging images of specimens, and at least three photos per
specimen (showing all orientations), developing gets ridiculous in
price.  I don't have a digital camera; I'm more of a 35 mm purist in that
respect.

At any rate, suggestions, hints, methods, or any ideas for directly
scanning shells would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Nancy Smith