From:
John Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 13:48:20 -0500
Specimens of Siphocypraea problematica are easy enough to come by; it's the
ones with shine to them that are highly prized and rare.

The genus Siphocypraea was erected by Heilprin, 1887.  Vaught, however,
placed the name in sub-genus status while Millard moved it back up.  No
living relatives are known.

Books I recommend are:
      "Explorations on the West Coast of Florida and in the Okeechobee
Wilderness", Heilprin, 1887.  Reprint 1972 available from the
Paleontological Research Institute.
     "Pliocene Mollusca of Southern Florida", Olsson & Harbison, 1953.  1990
reprint available from the Shell Museum and Educational Foundation, Inc.,
the Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum.
     "A Guide for Identifying Florida Fossil Shells and other
invertebrates", Brayfield & Brayfield, 1993, 3rd edition.
     "Florida's Fossils", Brown, 1988.
Books by Ed Petuch are nice because of the many pictures but I use them with
the understanding that many of the so-called species he personally named are
just forms.

As to how many fossil Cypraeidae there are, I don't know.  All the fossil
Cypraea I collected in Hawai'i are still extant.

Most of the prime collecting spots (usually working mines) have been closed
to the public mostly due to liability concerns.

John Jacobs
Seffner, FL