From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 08:17:22 -0700
On seeing things that "shouldn't be there"
A word of advice I once received on bird-watching.... don't be a slave to the
range-maps in a bird guide - pay more attention to the bird itself.  You would
be surprised how many birds are not found within their usual range.  I suspect
that more would be found if more people trusted their eyes and not a book that
might be out of date or just plain wrong.  Some birds ranges change even in our
lifetimes - blue jays were rare here in Calgary a decade ago and now they are
common.
A few years ago a herd (band?) of killer whales was located in the Caribbean
near Belize.  Hard to confuse them with anything else - I guess they forgot to
ask permission from us to go there ; - )
NOW FOR MY SHELL-RELATED QUESTION ( to put the above into practice):
I have been very studiously IDing my BC-collected shells (thanks Peter for the
lead on the Kozloff book- couldn't have got so far without it) -
I picked up many dead small olivellas in beach-drift that must be either
Olivella baetica or Olivella pycna.  I also collected the much larger O.
biplicata in the same spot. O. pycna is not supposed to be anywhere this far
north but the description matches Kozloff's in "Invertebrates of the Pacific NW"
and Abbott's in "American Seashell's exactly right down to the width/height
ratios and the zigzag lines.  Am I right?  Or must it be baetica in spite of the
differing description?

Nora
Calgary, Alberta