From:
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 14:55:26 -0700
> Why all the excitement about a new book on Xenophoridae, the excellent 125
page
> publication by Ponder and Cooper in 1983 with its excellent illustrations
(31
> plates), 10 distribution charts and comprehesive text makes one wonder
what
> else was left to write about.
> This publication was done through the Australian Museum Sydney and to my
> knowledge is still available.
> Kev

Kev,

I agree, the Ponder book is excellent and has much to recommend it to anyone
interested in Xenophoridae.  His work is a more scientific treatment and was
the only available work on the family until now.  Still there was and there
is much unknown about the Xenophora family.  This recent work updates Ponder
and most importantly for collectors provides excellent color photographs of
all known living species.  In case you think this is just the opinion of
some dried out New Mexican, I quote a portion of the forward to the Kreipl &
Alf's book, written by Ponder.

"...but my review of the group in 1983 was the only comprehensive revision
of the family in the last 100 years.  The present book is the first
semi-popular synopsis of this small family this century and serves as an
excellent introduction to the group."

Doesn't sound like Ponder has a problem with this most recent work.  Your
point about the relevance of Ponder's excellent work is valid and anyone
interested in Xenophoridae should really have both publications.  Ponder
covers a lot of material that is not covered anywhere else, but the color
photos and detailed images of the present work are most welcome.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA

I just re-read the above and if I sound to you (like it does to me) a bit
pompous, then I apologize (not that I'm going to change it mind you).  But I
have been interested in this family for years and was really happy to hear
of a new book coming out with color plates.  Like the new Epitoniidae book,
or the R.K.K. Pacific Conidae book, or the South African book, or etc, etc,
etc...  each new work helps us collectors make a bit more sense of those
lumps of calcium (to quote the ferreter).  So my excitement will also be
there to great the ep book and each volume of Poppe's new picture series.
You can't have too many books.