From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:02:41 -0700
Dear Friends,
        A couple of weeks ago I posted a question about Nucella lamellosa
and the variations (varieties/forms) as I was giving a talk to our shell
club here in Eureka, California.  After last night I have even more as the
members were curious about the species also.  As most of them had only seen
the form Nucella lamellosa lamellosa (Gmelin, 1791) because that's what
most shell shops sell, they we awed at the number of forms that can be
found, within 100-200 miles from here.
        As children we always asked the big question, "WHY?" and as adults
our curiosity seem to wane abit and "Why?" is used less often.  Poor us!!
But last night the questions were in every mouth.  Here are a few of them
and if there are folks out there that may have some answers, I'll print
them in our next Lost Coast Shell Club Newsletter.
1. Seeing various sizes in the species, (some from deeper waters and others
intertidal), is there a reason for this difference?  Is there an advantage
to a bigger size... for the animal?  No, not the collector/dealer.
2. Having many color variations and color banding, as are found in Northern
Vancouver Island, Canada, is there a cause of this, besides genetics?  (For
those interested in Port Hardy specimens photo, please e-mail privately)
3. Some of the specimens (usually with narrow aperture, thick, heavy
shells) are there uses/causes for the "teeth" that are inside the outer
lip?
4. In many of the locations there are very few color forms, and at times,
only white or only brown, is this a type of evolutionary selection because
of predator choices? (Birds, Crobs, Octopi,Sea stars) When I find
populations of few or only one color forms, I usually find in the area
several species of large crabs with strong pincers and  specimens that have
been broken in similar ways.
5. Could the color variations in Nucella be foorms of sexual dimorphism?
Speaking of "sex" (oh boy) are Muricids hermaphroditic and are the egg
cases carrying veligers or shelled "walk-outs"?

        As you can see, the questions posed are similar to those asked by
the Elementary/Jr. High school students where I give talks. As the members
in the club had so many good questions, and I wasn't sure of the answers, I
am asking your indulgence in asking for some answers.

        My question, also a bit elementary, is, "Has anyone done a DNA
Analysis for comparison of the many forms of the species Nucella lamellosa?
Not much has been done with this species since 1915 (Dall) and the new
technologies may give us some new answers.
        Thank you for your answers, in advance.
Dan Yoshimoto
p.s. e-mail address is

[log in to unmask]         if you's like to see the Port Hardy Nucella
lamellosa variations photo, even with 4 purple specimens.

Dan, Hiromi & Kuma Yoshimoto
1164 Vista Dr.
Eureka, California
95503-6018