From:
John Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2008 08:55:44 -0500
Harry Lee, whose knowledge and memory far exceeds mine reminded me
that Volutomitridae dates from Iredale and McMichael (1962). The
subfamily name Volutomitrinae dates from Gray (1854), and all authors
over the ensuing years maintained it as a subfamily, variously in
Volutidae and Mitridae. Indeed, Cernohorsky (1970:90) devotes an
entire page to the convoluted history of the subfamily and related genera.

Cernohorsky, 1970 was the first publication on mitrids that I
obtained, and that probably led to my storing my (very few)
Volutomitridae together with Mitridae.

Anyone else interested in these critters? How about Pleioptygmatidae?
Must we keep those separate?

John