From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:00:23 +1300
> I believe you are describing what is called a 'well slide'. I have seen
> them in glass, don't recall seeing them in cardboard.

Foram workers use these all the time, and they are certainly
available. The well is either a small circle c1cm or rectangle, a
cutout in white card with a black card backing exposed in the well to
contrast with the specimens. They have an aluminum guide which holds
the covering glass slide in place VERY LOOSELY... far too loosely in
my opinion, but a careful squeeze with pliers should tighten them up.

...just looking at the two  current lots of slides lying around the
foram lab now... one type has 4 12mm wells; the other has a big
rectangular well 20x40mm divided into 64 numbered squares. Both are
obviously from the same manufacturer, though there's no packaging with
them and nobody around to ask at the moment.

To attach the specimen, wet the black floor of the well with a
solution of gum tragacanth with clove oil in water and let dry. To fix
a shell down wet the spot where it's to go with a tiny paintbrush and
drop the shell in place; orient it with another brush and let dry.
Make sure that the specimen isn't too big, or the slide will smash it
when you slide it in!!

 Any scientific supply house should stock or be able to get them, and
they should be cheap.

--
Regards
Andrew Grebneff