From:
Bob Abela <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2010 22:26:43 +1000
Scott, I saw your post while on vacation. Fabio offered excellend
advise. Thought I'd add my own two-cents.

A few time savers:

1. (For the benefit of others) if using CS2 or older version of
Photoshop, upgrade to latest version (CS4). CS3 and CS4 excel with
regard to masking (and selection) for composite imaging and save you
time.
2. Before taking photos of shells, correct for white balance in-camera
using a gray card. If shooting *.jpeg, this is a must. If shooting
RAW, you can correct post-process but my experience is that it can
take more time.
3. Make sure you have as clean a separation between the shell and
background as possible.
4. During your photo session, shoot shells of similar sizes and work
your way from small to large (or vice versa). Then you only have to
make small, incremental changes as you progress.
5. While shooting a single specimen, take care to keep magnification
the same from start to finish. Then the composite images should nicely
match and align with one another during post-processing.
(Auto-alignment saves time.)
6. Photoshop offers ability to perform non-destructive editing (such
as use of smart layers). While requires a little extra work initially,
it can save time if there possibility you may re-edit work at a later
time. I'd recommend this approach if preparing images for future
publication.
7. If using a D-SLR, make sure your sensor and lenses are clean.
Post-process work to remove dust/dirt spots is tedious and time
consuming.

Hopefully this helps?

Regards,

Bob Abela