From:
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 12:01:41 EDT
4 messages.---------------Johnnie

---------------------------------

>From: Duane F Marble <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: What-d'you-callits.
>Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 17:13:18 -0400 (EDT)

Ah, and what is an "iso-bront?"

--
Duane F. Marble                E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Geography             Home Page: http://thoth.sbs.ohio-state.edu
The Ohio State University      Telephone:  (614) 292-2250
Columbus, OH 43210             Fax:  (614) 292-6213

Darius wrote:

>Okay, so our question..... if an isoline (or isarithm) is the generic term
>for the lines that link points of equal value, what is the corresponding
>generic name for the polygon/broad zone that lies BETWEEN succesive isarithms,
>(such as the colour-coded zones on a hypsometric map)? I'm guessing at
>"isopleth", but would appreciate confirmation or correction....

As I always learned, and still contend, the isopleth defines derived
isolines, such as lines of density.  These are not based on data observed
at points but on statistics derived for points.  Thus, to get a density at
a point we must take into consideration the area on which the density value
will be based.  As we change the sampling area to collect values to
computer density, it changes the value of density we will compute.  So,
there is no observed value at that point, only a derived value.  Isopleths
are those lines connecting the derived values.  And, it follows that an
isopleth surface is that surface based on derived data.

James R. Carter  "Jim"                           [log in to unmask]

Professor of Geography; Director, Laboratory for Integrated Learning and
Technology, College of Arts and Science; and Chair, Map Use Commission of
the International Cartographic Association

Geography/Geology Department, Illinois State University
Mail Stop 4400, Normal,IL 61790-4400 USA

tel: (309) 438-2833                             fax: (309) 438-5310

>Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 23:13:03 -0400
>From: [log in to unmask] (P. Andrew Ray)
>Subject: Re: What-d'you-callits.

I ain't no cartographic guru, but I'll give it a try...

According to my "The New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary", isopleth =
isoline.  In reference to your specific example ("...such as the
colour-coded zones on a hypsometric map..."), the term is isochroous (line
joining points of the same colour), but I don't think that is what you want
either.

How about isogenous??  Again, according to my dictionary, isogenous is
"equal in kind or nature".  Sounds pretty close to me.  Or how about
isotropic??  "Of a material or a body having the same physical properties
in all directions".

Hope this helps...

P. Andrew Ray
Department of Geography
The University of Western Ontario

>Date:         Tue, 18 Jun 96 09:46:57 EDT
>From:         Howitt <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: What-d'you-callits.

In map cataloging, the phrase "gradient tints" is used. For example, when
cataloging a map where relief is shown by colored bands, the note "Relief
shown by gradient tints" would be added. I have only seen this phrase used
for elevations and depths, not for other data like temperature, population
density, etc.
                                        Howard Stone
                                        Map Cataloger, Brown University