From:
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 1996 14:34:53 EDT
I am not sure at what scale you need the maps but I can give you some very
limited leads about more detailed topo maps for battlefields.

1.  There are very complex paper-based wargames for most battles available
currently for several sources.  Many of the maps used in these games are based
on very serious research.  A series of very detailed monographs with orders-of-
battle and maps of the battlefields have been produced for several of the Nap.
War battles by a company who at one time went under the name of Empire Games.

Current commercial map publishers in Europe have published maps of the Waterloo
battlefield and for some of the WW II battlesfields.  There are some detailed
WW I trench atlases available, mainly from the UK, I think.

In the U.S. you would want to look at the McElfresh maps of civil war battles.
These are outstanding maps that recreate not just the topography and road net
of the battles site, but also recreate the vegetation, crops, and other
important physical and cultural features.

Last year Gettysburg and Chickamauga Parks both had for sale in their centers
reprints of detailed topo maps done of the battlefields.

The Little Big Horn Battlefield center (Custer and all that) has available
about the best plastic relief map of a battlefield I have ever seen (for sale
that is).  It would be great for a discussion of the fight - 500 years of
European-Native interchange - Winners who are not winners - Crow Vs Sioux -
make your own list of topics.

University Map Collections -  If you have a University near you check to see
if the have a Map Collection as part of their Libraries.  If they do the Map
Library was probably built on USGS and DMA (US military) maps.  After WW II
the DMA sent out to several hundred map libraries in the U.S. a lot of surplus
maps, including captured German and Japanese maps.  Many collections still
have a lot of the WW II era maps for the world.

Web sites - The earlier suggestion of Web Pages is a good one.  There are
good sites for Korea, VietNam, and the American Civil War, all with some
maps.

John Sutherland
Curator of Maps
University of Georgia