From:
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 16:01:43 -0500
Subject: location of English lake
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:12:31 -0500 (EST)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hello, colleagues.

A historian and a literary scholar here are trying to determine the former
location of a lake in northern England, in the region of Cumbria, near
Carlisle.  The lake was known as Tarn Wadling (with some variations in
spelling).  It features in a medieval Arthurian romance, which is the
object of the research.  The lake was drained at some point in the past
100 years or so, and therefore does not appear on current mapping, such as
the Landranger map series which I have in my collections.  The lake, when
it existed, appears to have been at about 100 acres in area.

Any information will be of great assistance in their research.  Please
feel free to correspond directly with me.  I will share information with
the list.

Ken
Ken Grabach                              <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                           Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio 45056 USA