From:
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:05:31 -0500
Subject: RE: Geol Atlas of the US]
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 15:52:11 -0500
From: HelenJane Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
In the past year, I had heard the Geologic folios in good condition were
selling for several hundred dollars a piece.  I was curious after seeing
your email so I checked the Antique Map Price Record 1983-2003 on CD.  It is
only since 1999 that you find any of the Geologic Folios being listed as
sold by a dealer or at auction.  The prices range wildly from Raleigh, NC at
$30 in 1999 to Yellowstone at $350. sold in 2001.  I have listed the ones
below that were sold. There might be a few more as some were listed under
Special Map and Geologic Folio in the index. From this small sample it looks
like a well known or geologically significant area sells at the high end
while those sold on eBay are moderate.  There is no indication that anyone
has sold a complete set.  Besides eBay there were 3 dealers listed.

  If you do not have access to the Price Record  please contact me by email
and I will look up the dealers names for you.
Helen

HelenJane Armstrong PhD                 [log in to unmask]
Head, Map & Imagery Library
George A. Smathers Library
University of Florida
P.O.Box 117011
Gainesville, FL 32611-7011

GEOLOGIC ATLAS FOLIOS SOLD BETWEEN 1999-2001
Yellowstone 1896        $350.   2001/02
Austin, TX              $285.   2001/02
Silverton, CO(2)        $71 & $85. ($71. was eBay) 1999
Elmoro CO               $61.  (auction not eBay) 1999
Staunton, Va            $45.    1999/2000
Raleigh                 $30     1999/2000

Needles Mountain south of Silverton was offered for $50. but no record it
sold.