From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 12:43:11 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 11:32:50 -0500
From: Tom <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: NORTHER/SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA WAR?
Sender: Tom <[log in to unmask]>

I assumed the reference to "standing on the Globe"  contained a
misused preposition and that "standing at the Globe" was intended
(the Globe being a well-known Athens, GA, watering hole where one
might stand, sit, slump or possibly recline).

Continuing on with the theme of intra- or interstate conflicts, would
anyone care to provide specifics on a story I heard many years ago
about the Indiana-Kentucky boundary.  As I heard it, a coal fired
power plant on the Indiana side of the Ohio River was cut off from
Indiana when meanders of the Ohio changed their course.  The Indiana
governor at the time felt threatened enough by Kentucky that he
mobilized the Indiana National Guard to protect the power plant from
its neighbor to the south.  I am not sure what the threat was or how
real it was.

I bet this is a textbook case; but, not being a geographer, those
textbooks are not falling out of my shelves.

A mascot with a rifle - now that IS a scary thought.  What kind of
example are we setting for the delicate and impressionable young
minds of the people who see such a spectacle.  Time for the mascot
police to get cranked up.
Tom Hanley, Department of Chemistry and Geology, Columbus State U.,
4225 University Ave., Columbus, Georgia 31907-5645.
Links to the ACRES project and to 1998 and 1999 pictures I took in Panama may be found at:
http://chemgeo.ColState.edu/th_hp.htm
VOX: 706-568-2074; FAX: 706-569-3133.
--- End Forwarded Message ---