Sender:
From:
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 11:58:33 EST
3 messages.  Also one of the links in the Globe page of my Home Page
is  to a teaching aid page titled "Making your own Globe." The address is:
http://octopus.gma.org/surfing/imaging/globe.html
-----------------------------------------------Johnnie

>Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 11:27:20 -0500 (EST)
>From: World Space Corporation <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: orange peel projection teaching aid

The Japanese department store 'Tokyu Hands' distributes a Japanese made 4
or 5 " globe made from cardboard along with a sheet of gore sections
(orange peel) as a do-it-yourself globe.  (about 1500 Yen = 13.- $)
But I am afraid that will not help much....

Ingo Gunther
World Space Corp
www.worldprocessor.com

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Alice Hudson wrote:

>      Yikes, a teacher has sent me a query via [log in to unmask] about
>      obtaining a map that will fit a 4" styrofoam ball to teach kids about
>      globes, etc.  As NYPL is not attached to a teachers' college, this is
>      not the sort of thing we buy. And I do not see teachers' supply
>      catalogs which might have the answer...Thank you in advance for any
>      help you can provide, mapsters!
>
>      Anybody know of a teaching kit on this topic? Is there a listserve for
>      the various state geographic alliances to which I might refer this
>      question?
>
>      I already instructed the guy NOT to teach this as a current projection
>      heavily in use...
>
>      Alice

>Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 10:08:21 -0500
>From: Customer Service <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: orange peel projection teaching aid

Hubbard makes a globe projection teaching model (#3010 - about $23.00).  It
is a bit dated, but still useful.  It comes with a globe and some clear maps
for cylindrical projections, etc.

Also the USGS has a free poster on projections, showing about 30 or so
different projections.

National Geographic Society will fax/send you a listing of the current heads
of the state geography alliances.

Russell Guy

OMNI Resources
http://www.omnimap.com

>Date:   Wed, 22 Jan 1997 09:55:56 -1000
>From:   Gunnar Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Orange Peel Projection Aid

Alice Hudson--
  I have a suggestion for the teacher who wants a teaching aid
for showing the relationship of maps to globes. There are a
number of texts showing standard globe gores--one is Nordenskiold's
Facsimile Atlas. Any globe gore pattern could be enlarged or
reduced on a photocopy machine using a circumference or diameter
measurement to calculate the percent of enlargement. This can be
cut out and pasted on the 4" styrofoam sphere. If an orange-peel
pattern is desired, cut out the gore pattern as above, then cut
the adjacent sections horizontally and paste together along the
meridians to form an orange peel pattern.
  If your client wants an illustration of the procedure, have
them e-mail me an address.

Gunnar Thompson <[log in to unmask]>