Sender:
"Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2012 11:58:45 -0600
8bit
From:
Subject: RE: Medieval 'projection'
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 11:57:06 -0600
From: Thornton, Jacob <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Thanks for all of these great responses! I now have a little more
research and experimentation to do before I decide how we'll actually
present this in the course, but this is extraordinarily helpful.

Initially I'm thinking I may end up leading some discussion on map
creation in this time period and explain projections, and maybe do a
rough Georeferencing project (like the one I sent with my questions) to
give the students a new skill and an idea of how changes in science and
cartography have evolved and improved, and by how much. From there we
could simply map the place names onto modern landmasses in a modern
projection to get a realistic idea of the path of Mandeville's travels.
My thought is that with a firm understanding of the
cartography/projection issues and a modernized map of the significant
places, the students will be able to compare and contrast and weigh the
various advantages and shortcomings of using modern or medieval maps for
a project like this.

I'll also say that I'm in agreement - it's an issue of accuracy and
cartography as opposed to 'projection' when it comes to medieval maps,
however when you start to think about geocoding specific places and even
estimating measures of distance, you either have to forgo the old map
for a new one, or bring more modern projections into the conversation to
try and find one that is the closest fit. I think the answer may be to
experiment and see how close it can get and make the decision based on
that.

This may change as I dig farther into this information, but I think I
have a solid starting point now. Many thanks!
-Jacob