From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Philip Hoehn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 09:53:00 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 21:16:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Philip Hoehn <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Map Organizing <fwd>
Sender: Philip Hoehn <[log in to unmask]>

At Stanford University's Branner Earth Sciences Library we have several
shelving locations for maps (we are the main collection for the campus,
not just a holder of geoscience maps):

        Map Cases       Large, flat maps
        Map Files       Vertical files (folded geol. series in envelopes,
                and air photos, for example)
        Mezzanine       Our designation for maps (map accompaniements, atlases, etc.)
                that fit on bookshelves
        Rolled          Large rolled maps (too big for flat cases)
        Locked Maps     Rare flat maps
        Locked Stacks   Rare maps that fit on bookshelves

        Most of our maps are classed in LC, but we have a few in Dewey. We
just have two sequences of numbers within most of the above categories.

        Ideally everything would get tied together with a floor plan showing
the locations(s) of each of these categories, AND (if possible) via a
catalog.

        Phil Hoehn
        Map Bibliographer
        Branner Earth Sciences Library & Map Colelctions
        Stanford University
        Stanford, California USA

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Johnnie Sutherland wrote:

> [...]
--- End Forwarded Message ---