From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:11:35 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:02:53 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Forwarded mail....
Sender: [log in to unmask]

Judith:

I wonder whether you've asked this question of the best or most relevant
discussion list (no disrespect to all!) rather than MapHist?  The following
(see also 'Imago Mundi Bibliography entry no. 92:44(156)) in vol.44 (1992)
will provide good background and bibliographical sources:-

Military architecture cartography and the representation of the early modern
European city : a checklist of treatises on fortification in The Newberry
Library / Martha D. Pollack. - Chicago : The Newberry Library, 1991. - ISBN
0-911028-45-5

Or are you looking for a lavishly illustrated ('coffee-table') book that may
- perchance - help in identifying the image in the portrait?  Has your
inquirer exhausted the cartographic images webpages on Tony Campbell's
History of cartography site?  Peter van der Krogt would, I feel sure, be
willing to post an image of the inquirer's unidentified fortified plan on
MapHist (once the format has been agreed beforehand).

Francis (who will be at LIBER Conference in Helsinki all next week) Herbert
http://www.rgs.org [see 'Collections'/'Unlocking the Archives']

--- End Forwarded Message ---