From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 13:08:03 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 09:48:07 -0400
From: Shelly Burns <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: map self-checkout? (fwd)

At the University of Delaware, we do self check-out of maps.  We have a
four-part form which the patron fills out regarding their name, barcode ID
number on the map, their ID number, and title/date/scale of map.  The map room
keeps one copy and sends the patron to circulation with the map, map tube, and
the form.  Circulation "checks it out" by putting the date due on the forms
and keeping 1 copy, and sending a copy to us with the due date.  The patron
also gets a copy to take with him/herself.

When returned, circulation pulls their copy of the form and sends the map and
form back to us. The cons: its a four-part form so the patron has to press
REALLY hard for the back copy to be legible; if the map gets renewed and the
new due date doesn't get back to us, its confusing;  it happens so
infrequently that some circulation student staff do not know what to do with
the forms and the form gets lost;  if a patron signs out a lot of maps for the
same area, the forms get less specific; and some maps accidentally get two
barcodes. If the maps become overdue, there has to be constant communication
with circulation staff for the status of the item -is it lost? has the patron
been billed?

Years ago, the maps got barcoded on the non-printed side, now they are
barcoded on the front bottom --where they can be seen more. But, since our
older maps still have them in the old place, circulation must check everywhere
for the barcode.  For our non-depository maps, the bar code is the only thing
identifying the map as ours.  There are no security targets on the maps. This
system works for our map room because of relatively low traffic and distance
to the circulation desk (its one level up from us).
Hope this helps!
Shelly Burns
Shelly Burns
Coordinator, Microforms & Digital Mapping
University of Delaware
Morris Library
Newark, DE 19717

--