From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karl Longstreth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:18:42 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:40:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Karl Longstreth <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: MAGERT Res.Libs.Collection Discussion Group
Sender: Karl Longstreth <[log in to unmask]>

For those attending ALA MAGERT meetings in San Francisco this week, David
Cobb will lead a discussion on

  The Artifact in the Map Library

in the Research Libraries Collection Management Group, Saturday 16 June,
4:30-5:30 p.m. in the Marriott, Pacific H room.

In an exchange that David had with Paul van den Brink at the National
Library of the Netherlands, reference was made to the Council on Library
and Information Resources Task Force on the Artifact in Library
Collections. Their report, The Evidence in Hand, can be found at

http://clir.org/activities/details/artifact-docs.html

This report discusses the role of the artifact for scholars. David will
summarize this report, discuss security concerns and related topics, and
open the discussion about the importance of original materials in
libraries.  Cartographic materials present many unique problems for
conservation, housing, security and use.  In light of the discussion
engendered in the academic and library community by Nicholson Baker's
recent book, and perhaps for our group Miles Harvey's discourse in The
Island of Lost Maps, this seems a good time to discuss the artifactual
value of maps. I hope that you will have time to consider this topic
before the meetings, and I invite you to participate in this discussion.

My thanks to David Cobb for proposing and leading this discussion. I
regret that recent surgeries will not permit me to attend.

Yours,
              Karl

  Karl Longstreth
   Map Library, University Library &
    China Data Center, International Institute
     University of Michigan
      920 North University Street
       Ann Arbor MI 48109-1205 USA

  [log in to unmask]  734.647.0646  fax 734.763.5080

--- End Forwarded Message ---