AGED-2001-2008-L Archives

Ag Ed 2001 - 2008 Discussion Group

AGED-2001-2008-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Teri Hamlin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Teri Hamlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2008 18:18:48 -0500
Poinsettia bracts should have some color by now and in full bloom by
early December and ready to sale.
Now is the time to solve any last minute problems with your plants.
If we get any more cloudy weather or your plants are staying too wet
this creates the perfect environment for botrytis on poinsettias with
color.
Exo-Therm Termil is a smoke applied fungicide that is normally used in
commercial greenhouses to keep poinsettia bracts free of botrytis.  It
should be applied every week until plants are out the door.

Reminder: The poinsettia is in the cactus family, so allow plants to
become dry between each application of water.
Best practice at this stage is to monitor soil moisture and water
plants by hand.
Water underneath leaves to prevent stem breakage and diseases.

I've seen some poinsettias that still have whiteflies.  I think in
most cases the Marathon was applied too early.  Don't apply granular
Marathon
until the plants have a good root system;  that will be about two to
three weeks after planting.  If you have whitefly problems now,
Distance (a very
expensive IGR) and a Marathon WP may clear up the problem.  Merit 75WP
is a form of marathon that is labeled for poinsettias in
interiorscapes.
Als0 you could apply Whitmire fumigants as needed to control
whiteflies and aphids.

If your think your poinsettias are going to finish too tall, Bonzi can
be used as a "drench" to stop the plants from stretching.  Don't use
it as a
spray on the bracts.

Competitive Sale Price
Wrapping and Bow 6 ½" plants sell for $5.00 - $7.00
10" plants sell for $15.00 - $20.00

--
Dr. Teri Hamlin
North Region Agriculture Education