AGED-2001-2008-L Archives

Ag Ed 2001 - 2008 Discussion Group

AGED-2001-2008-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Libby Lintel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Libby Lintel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2008 08:52:16 -0400
Hello,

For those of you not familiar with America's Heartland - PBS Series on Agricutlure in America - I encourage you to visit the website:

http://www.americasheartland.org/episodes/index.htm

Take a look at what they offer.  Each week there is a new half-hour episode that features stories about a huge variety of agricultural topics.  As a horticulture teacher - new to teaching Ag Science - I have found these videos to be an invaluable tool to use in my classroom.  Each segment lasts only 4-6 minutes, and they usually generate a variety of student comments and discussion.

I purchased the entire seasons 1-3, but each individual episode is available FREE if you have Media Player on your computer and want to video stream during class.

I have made worksheets for all 62 episodes of the first three seasons, and have completed sheets for the first 4 episodes of the currently-running season 4.

I would like to email a weeky update to the list-serve letting you know what is in the new episode.  Try them out...I think you will be very pleased.  They are extremely pro-agriculture, pro-family, pro-America - a very positive program!

- - - - -
Season 4 - Episode 401 http://www.americasheartland.org/episodes/episode_401/index.htm

*Growing Cotton in Texas
*Forestry in West Virginia
*Lavender Farm in California
*Agricultural Artist (painter)

Season 4 - Episode 402
http://www.americasheartland.org/episodes/episode_402/index.htm

*Poultry farm that processes poultry waste as its main source of fuel
*Uses for soybeans - foams
*Walnut farm in CA that generates energy from walnut waste
*Cheese "factory" in California

Season 4 - Episode 403
http://www.americasheartland.org/episodes/episode_403/index.htm

*Large Animal/Food Supply Veterinarian - shortage
*Shearing Sheep in new Mexico
*Equine veterinary research at UC Davis
*Tupeol honey in Florida

Season 4 - Episode 404
http://www.americasheartland.org/episodes/episode_404/index.htm

*Wind turbine "farm" in Texas
*Rice production
*Metrolina automated greenhouse (floriculture) in NC
*Harness racing horses in solar stables

- - - -

Try America's Heartland.  Even if you do not use entire episodes - they are great to enhance your GPS.  They are also great when you have have 5-15 minutes left in class and want to make sure the time is productive.

- - -

If you email, I will be happy to send you a worksheet on any episode.  I have compelted them all...but I can only send about 4 at a time.  Perhaps is the State Ag-Ed folks become interested, we can post them to the web site.

-Libby Lintel

*

Libby Lintel
Horticulture Teacher