ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Mark Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2021 09:19:22 -0400
Ideas for Creative Exploration
August 2021
http://ice.uga.edu
---

1. Welcome Fall 2021
2. Arts + Community Podcast
3. Reading Room: a2ru Creative Placemaking Resource Hub
4. Webinar: Trusted Messengers and Trusted Spaces (8/24)
5. Dodd Galleries Fall Exhibitions (opens 8/28)
6. ATHICA exhibition and birthday (opens 8/28)
7. Lecture: Artist, Mentor, Friend (9/1)
8. Webinar: Art Restart Salon (9/1)
9. NEA Call for Public Input (deadline 9/3)
10. BIPOC Design History (new sessions begin 9/17)
11. Opportunity: Willson Center grants (deadlines 8/26 and 9/30)
12. Opportunity: Get Artistic DIY Fund (deadline 9/12)
13. Opportunity: Entrepreneurship for Musicians (deadline 9/15)
14. Opportunity: a2ru National Conference CFP (deadline 9/17)
15. Opportunity: ACAC Public Art Selection Panels
---

1. Welcome Fall 2021

Welcome to a new semester at UGA! If you are new to Ideas for Creative Exploration, please take a few moments to visit http://ice.uga.edu and learn about some of the current and past projects and events. Please also welcome our new recipients of Graduate Assistantships in Interdisciplinary Arts Research: Meredith Emery (Art) and Erica Parson (Theatre and Film Studies). These exceptional graduate students will develop creative research and collaborative work across disciplines with faculty, students, and community members.
---

2. Arts + Community Podcast

Ideas for Creative Exploration Conversation Series
Podcast Episode 15: Arts + Community
http://ideasforcreativeexploration.com/arts-community-podcast/

Audio highlights from a public conversation series on the theme of arts and community, edited from conversations that took place during fall 2020 and spring 2021 via remote video conferencing technology. We invited guests from a range of backgrounds to share their ideas about what artists and organizations should know about each other, and about how they can work together to support vibrant communities. This episode includes the voices of Stephanie Raines, Andrew Salinas, Montu Miller, Madeline Blankenship, Alden DiCamillo, Carmon Colangelo, and April Parker.
---

3. Reading Room: a2ru Creative Placemaking Resource Hub
Source: https://a2ruconnect.wpengine.com/hub/

"The Creative Placemaking Resource Hub is a living archive of creative placemaking scholarship and practice, designed for the students, teachers, artists, and community leaders who move the field forward. The core of the Hub are the resources gathered and created by ArtPlace America during its ten years of field-making activities (2010-2020). ArtPlace transferred its archive to a2ru with the intention that the Hub should continue to grow over time, incorporating additional resources from the creative placemaking field to reflect its continued evolution."
---

4. Trusted Messengers and Trusted Spaces: Engaging Arts and Culture for Vaccine Confidence in Your Community
Tuesday, August 24 at 2 PM
https://ufl.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_t006gkGFSouYgf5CkWCkNA

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has partnered with arts and culture organizations to promote vaccine confidence and demand. In this 1-hour webinar, panelists collaborating on vaccine confidence and demand from the public health and arts and cultural sectors, will share practice examples, strategies, and resources for building partnerships and programs that engage artists and culture-bearers. They will focus on how to create synergistic, equitable, culturally responsive, and sustainable partnerships and programs that engage artists as critical partners and trusted messengers in promoting vaccine confidence -- for COVID-19 and beyond.

By the end of this webinar, attendees will be able to:

- Identify strategies and resources for engaging arts and culture to increase vaccine confidence.
- Identify strategies for overcoming common challenges to vaccine confidence through arts and culture-based health communication programs.
- Recognize partnerships and initiate programs for advancing vaccine confidence through more engaging, tailored, equitable, and culturally responsive and sustainable programming in their communities.
- Articulate the value of partnership among public health and local artists, culture-bearers, and arts and culture organizations to promote vaccine confidence.

CDC's partnership with the David J. Spencer CDC Museum, University of Florida Center for Arts in Medicine, CDC Foundation, and two Atlanta based arts organizations, Dashboard and Living Walls, has generated:

- A pilot project in Atlanta to demonstrate how arts and culture can empower vaccine confidence.
- A set of field guides.
- A program repository to drive partnerships and public health programming with arts and culture.
---

5. Dodd Galleries Fall Exhibitions
Saturday, August 28 from noon - 5 PM
https://art.uga.edu/events/dodd-galleries-fall-exhibition-ticketed-viewing

Join us for a masked and socially distant ticketed viewing event. The Dodd Galleries is thrilled to present four new exhibitions opening at the Dodd Galleries. "Dawn Williams Boyd: Woe" curated by Daniel Fuller presents a series of textile works by the Atlanta-based artist that reflect a lifelong critique of social injustices and racial violence. Dodd MFA candidate, Rachel Seburn, and Alberta, Canada-based artist Sarah Seburn bring their collaborative project, Temporary Investments, to the Dodd Galleries in an exhibition that pushes the boundaries of "Flexible Architecture," investigating materials and their malleability. Mickey Boyd, also a Dodd MFA candidate, presents another collaborative exhibition with Max Yardbird, an artist working and living in Albuquerque, New Mexico. In their exhibition, "Waste Creation," the artists present a series of images and sculptures that explore how exponential growth equals exponential waste. "Time at the Table," features the work of Dodd undergraduate Alan Barrett, Alex Barrett, and Massie Herlihy. An intersection of performance, installation, ceramics, and photographs, in this installation the artists hope to bring a better understanding of what it means to pursue and use ceramics in the ritual of our daily lives. We will also be unveiling a new Wall Works, a large-scale mural, by Atlanta-based artist Stacie Rose.

While in the building we ask that, in accordance to Athens Clarke County Guidelines, you wear a mask and maintain social distancing.
---

6. ATHICA exhibition and birthday
https://athica.org

ATHICA: Athens Institute for Contemporary Art is an independent, non-profit gallery promoting and supporting innovative contemporary art and artists through exhibitions, education, and events.

Light: 2021 Juried Exhibition
August 28 - October 3

ATHICA is Turning Twenty!
https://athica.org/updates/20th-birthday-fundraiser/

ATHICA is celebrating 20 years of supporting contemporary arts and artists in Athens. This special birthday, miraculous among small non-profit arts spaces, is all due to the community of artists and art lovers that has kept the organization going for two decades. We are excited to share that in the fall of 2021, ATHICA has the opportunity to purchase its current facility providing a stronger path to the future in a permanent home.
---

7. Lecture: Artist, Mentor, Friend: Ronald Lockett and Thornton Dial Sr.
Wednesday, September 1 at 2 PM
https://georgiamuseum.org/event/curator-talk-ronald-lockett-and-thornton-dial-sr/

Join Shawnya Harris, Larry D. and Brenda A. Thompson Curator of African American and African Diasporic Art, for a Zoom talk "Artist, Mentor, Friend: Ronald Lockett and Thornton Dial Sr."
---

8. Art Restart Salon: Creative, Vulnerable and Well
Wednesday, September 1 at 7 PM
https://www.uncsa.edu/kenan/art-restart/salon-fall2021.aspx

Join the Thomas S. Kenan Institute for the Arts for its Fall Art Restart Salon on Wednesday, Sept. 1, at 7:00 p.m. Eastern. The salon, "Creative, Vulnerable and Well," will feature an honest discussion about personal psychological challenges artists have faced and the strategies they have developed to maintain their mental wellness.
---

9. National Endowment for the Arts Strategic Plan Call for Public Input
Deadline for comments: September 3
https://www.arts.gov/strategic-plan-input

The National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) is requesting public comments on its draft strategic plan for fiscal years 2022 through 2026. In keeping with requirements for all federal agencies, the Arts Endowment produces or updates a strategic plan every four years. The current draft plan is intended to align the NEA's strategic aims more closely with the needs of today, while elevating the vital and enduring role of the agency within government and society at large. In this plan, accordingly, are goals, objectives, and strategies that support and encourage the arts' capacity to help rebuild the U.S. economy, to heal individuals and communities, to bridge social divides, and to offer positive, life-enhancing experiences -- aesthetic, cultural, and educational -- for Americans of all backgrounds.
---

10. BIPOC Design History continues this fall with "Incomplete Latinx Stories of Diseno Grafico." Through live and asynchronous lectures, readings, and discussions, the class sheds light on moments of oppression and visibility. The series revisits and rewrites the course of design history in a way that centers previously marginalized  designers, cultural figures -- and particularly BIPOC and QTPOC people.

Incomplete Latinx Stories of Diseno Grafico
https://bipocdesignhistory.com/Latinx-Overview
Begins September 17

Incomplete Latinx Stories of Diseno Grafico centers the work and histories of art and design in Latin America. From a Latinx diasporic perspective, we look at the pluralistic work that comes out of the diverse cosmologies, perspectives, and points of view from the continent -- inspired in part by Gloria Anzaldua's seminal Borderlands/ La Frontera.

Black Design in America
https://bipocdesignhistory.com/Black-Design-History
Class recordings

Black Design in America was the first in a series of BIPOC Centered design history courses facilitated by Polymode. The classes include the ancient origins of African alphabets, innovative mathematics in African architecture, systemic racism of the transatlantic slave trade, W.E.B. Du Bois's innovative information diagrams in 1900, the aesthetics of Eugenics and its science of racial profiling, the Harlem Renaissance and other queer Blackness, the Tuskegee Syphilis Study that exploited vulnerable veterans supervised by the U.S. Public Health Service, the grassroots network of Victor Hugo Green's Motorists books, Blues Modernism, the rise of hip hop's graphic language, urgent protest graphics of Black Lives Matter movement, and the 21st century data activism of the collective Data for Black Lives.
---

11. Willson Center for the Humanities and Arts Grants
https://willson.uga.edu/opportunities/fellowships-grants/willson-grants-awards/

Graduate Research Award
Deadline: August 26

The Willson Center Graduate Research Award provides support of up to $1,250 toward research-related expenses for arts and humanities projects that are essential components of a graduate degree program. Applicants should explain the importance of their proposed activity and justify it within their field(s) of study in a context of research excellence. The Willson Center is particularly interested in fostering interdisciplinary research at the graduate level.

Distinguished Artist or Lecturer program
Deadline: August 26

The Willson Center Distinguished Artist or Lecturer program supports individual faculty or interdisciplinary groups in bringing leading thinkers and practitioners to campus in support of ongoing and innovative research projects. The program provides a $1,500 honorarium out of which the artist or lecturer pays his or her travel expenses. Faculty nominations for the August 26, 2021 deadline for academic year 2021-22 are for either virtual presentations at $500 or in-person presentations at $1,500. In-person presentations are recommended for scheduling in spring of 2022. Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, awards for in-person presentations can also be converted afterwards to virtual at $500 as necessary and in coordination with the Willson Center.

Arts Lab Faculty Fellowships
Deadline: September 30

Following the report of the UGA Task Force on Arts Research and Practice, an Arts Lab Cluster has been formed to support creativity across the university. As part of this, six Arts Lab Faculty Fellowships are available for faculty in the performing or creative arts for academic year 2022-2023. Funding for this round of Arts Lab Faculty Fellowships is provided by the Office of the Provost, and the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts.

Arts Lab Faculty Fellowships are designed for faculty members in the performing or creative arts to develop practice, research and curriculum in the arts. Support comprises one course release, and support funds up to $2000. Funds for arts instructional faculty who cannot commit to a semester away from instruction, but have need of a shorter period of study, practice, or research, can be considered by the selection committee.
---

12. Get Artistic DIY Fund
Deadline: September 12
https://getcurious.com/get-artistic/diy/

The Get Artistic DIY Fund exists to spotlight and empower emerging artists as future leaders. From August 20 to September 12, artists can apply for $2,000 in funding to support collaborative, community-based projects in Athens. Six finalists will receive $250 stipends to participate in the DIY Fair on October 6 at the Creature Comforts taproom in downtown Athens.
---

13. Innovation Bootcamp: Entrepreneurship for Musicians
Deadline: September 15
https://research.uga.edu/gateway/bootcamp/upcoming-cohorts/

Bringing together students, faculty, staff, and community musicians in a multi-week program to explore innovation and entrepreneurship in the music industry. To maximize the cohort experience, it is important to complete all sessions. The schedule below includes a mixture of learning sessions, group project time, and one-on-one coaching. The core learning sessions will be held at the new Innovation Hub at 210 Spring Street. Participants should be prepared to spend 4-5 hours total per week in the program. Please review the schedule prior to applying to ensure you can participate for the entire program.
---

14. 2021 a2ru National Conference: Sharing Stories: The Case for Art
https://a2ru.org/event/2021-a2ru-national-conference-sharing-stories-the-case-for-art/

Over the last twelve months, we have seen a range of sources acknowledge the powerful importance of the arts, particularly in the Covid era. As arts practitioners and leaders, we embrace our role in this unprecedented moment, even as we continue to rethink our disciplines, how our methods have changed during this time, and what the future of the arts might look like. The Alliance for the Arts in Research Universities (a2ru) will use this year's online conference to meet this unique moment in a uniquely artful way. We will engage and explore how we can best deploy what we hope has not changed -- our passion for the arts, for arts education, and for arts integration -- through storytelling, rather than traditional conference presentations.

Call for Participants
Deadline: September 17
https://a2ru.org/event/2021-a2ru-national-conference-sharing-stories-the-case-for-art/#Active-Calls-for-Participants

Steps Toward Change
Student Voices Panel
Telling the BIPOC Story: Artivism During COVID-19

a2ru seeks participants for its second Student Voices panel, "Telling the BIPOC Story: Artivism During COVID-19." The racial and economic inequalities of our education system were laid bare as students moved out of campus classrooms and into the differently resourced spaces that came to house their virtual classrooms during the height of the pandemic. At the same time, BIPOC communities were disproportionately affected by both the pandemic and police violence. With communities needing a way to express themselves, protests, vigils, retaliation, and then more protests became a regular occurrence in many cities and a mainstay on all media outlets.

This year's panel asks our students the questions: Amidst the disruption of your space and the rise in opportunities for activism, what role did art play in your life? Would you have described yourself as an activist prior to the pandemic? How about now? How has your relationship to arts and activism -- artivism -- changed as our country has grappled with the racial and economic inequalities that have always existed in our society, and that have been made more evident by COVID-19? Do you see a place for artivism in your university? How might you integrate your artivism into your academic work?

Pedagogy Roundtable
Rewriting the Story: Practical Strategies for an Anti-racist Classroom

During last year's Art for Politics' Sake roundtable, our discussants examined the role art, art research, and art education can play in eradicating racism. This year, we hope to continue and build on the theoretical groundwork established in their discussion by exploring concrete examples of putting anti-racist principles into practice in the classroom. For this roundtable, we invite instructors and researchers interested in discussing the anti-racist practices and/or diversity initiatives they already have or plan to implement in their classrooms, practicums, labs, etc. to share their ideas with the a2ru community.
---

15. Public Art Selection Panels
https://www.athensculturalaffairs.org
https://www.accgov.com/9656/Public-Art-Selection-Panels

The Athens Cultural Affairs Commission is seeking community members to participate in upcoming public art selection panels. Selection panels review, evaluate, and select from submitted proposals for Athens-Clarke County-funded public art commissions. Each panel typically meets once to select art for a specific project. Meetings usually take place on a weekday at 6 PM. and last approximately two hours. If you are over 18 years of age, live in Athens-Clarke County, and are interested in assisting in the selection of public art in your community, please fill out the form here and we will contact you as opportunities become available.
---

Ideas for Creative Exploration is an interdisciplinary initiative for advanced research in the arts at UGA, supported in part by the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School, and the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts.

ice.uga.edu
facebook.com/ideasforcreativeexploration

For more events and opportunities visit:

a2ru.org
art.uga.edu
arts.uga.edu
athica.org