ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Mark Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2018 08:16:49 -0500
ICE Announcements 11.27.18
http://ice.uga.edu

1. 2018-2019 Idea Lab Mini Grant Awards
2. The Head and the Art Opening Reception (11/30)
3. Staged Reading: Test Drive (11/30)
4. Sustainable UGA Semester in Review (12/5)
5. Opportunity: a2ru Emerging Creatives Student Summit (deadline 1/15)
6. Opportunity: Graduate Interdisciplinary Research Conference (deadline 12/31)
7. Opportunity:  Willson Center Graduate Research Awards (deadline 1/22)
---

1. 2018-2019 Idea Lab Mini Grant Awards

Ideas for Creative Exploration is pleased to announce two new Idea Lab Mini Grant recipients. The projects were selected based on creative merit, extent of collaborative and interdisciplinary activity, and feasibility. They address the 2018-2019 theme of "cultivating community" by fostering new narratives around coastal environments and promoting cross-disciplinary communication through creative practice. Mini Grant awards provide production support from ICE Graduate Research Assistants and project funding.

"Social Justice, Sustainable Futures: Retelling the History and Experiences of African-Americans in the Coastal Southeast"

Lead applicants: Jeffrey Beauvais (doctoral student, Integrative Conservation (ICON)/Ecology) and Kathryn Koopman (graduate student, Music)

While academic studies may help to highlight social ills, many community activists have posited that the critique-focused approach of academic research creates overly negatives narratives that do not offer possible paths for more equitable futures. Through musical collaboration, we will: 1) provide more accurate representations of coastal African-American life and history, 2) give back to partnering communities by performing for them and completing community service during workshops on the coast, and 3) reach wider general audiences and connect them to these stories.

"Exploring Research as Craft: A Workshop Series to Promote Cross-Discipline Communication by Examining Processes of Creating to Approach Questions"

Lead applicants: Sydney Siegerman (doctoral student, Anthropology), Alden DiCamillo (graduate student, Art)

The purpose of this collaboration is to promote cross-disciplinary communication by conceptualizing research and practice as craft. We use Ingold's (2013) definition of craft as the gathering and transformation of material according to cultural and scientific presence. By considering research as craft, our goal is to uncover commonalities that exist among students from diverse disciplines in how they engage with questions about the world. Graduate students across the UGA campus will participate in a three-part project to communicate their research as craft. The project will culminate with a gallery show open to the greater Athens community.
---

2. The Head and The Art Opening Reception
Friday, November 30 from 5 - 7 PM
UGA Science Library and Makerspace
https://www.facebook.com/events/796663804002814/

Both science and art seek truth and understanding through creativity, problem solving, innovation, and experimentation. Science makes the invisible visible. Art makes the unknowable knowable. Together, there is no limit to our ability to understand the world around us.
---

3. Staged Reading: Test Drive
Friday, November 30 at 4 PM
Hendershots Coffee, 237 Prince Ave.

Seven new plays written by English Department graduate students and performed by UGA actors from the theater department. The new plays are written by Johanna Bailie, Nathan Dixon, Megan Driscoll, Genevieve Guzman, Kara Krewer, Emma Catherine Perry, and Samantha Regal. Actors reading from the new scripts are graduate students David Cowan, Jake Hunsbusher, and Brooke McCarthy.  The free event is open to the public.
---

4. Sustainable Uga Semester In Review
Wednesday, December 5 from 11 AM - 1 PM
Memorial Hall Ballroom
RSVP: https://sustainability.uga.edu/sir

The Sustainable UGA Semester in Review celebrates people, programs, activities and academic courses that are creating a culture of sustainability at UGA. The program includes brief presentations from the Office of Sustainability interns, posters and table displays from UGA classes, the announcement of 2018 Campus Sustainability Grant winners, light lunch fare, and opportunities for networking. Opening comments will be provided by Dr. Libby Morris, Interim Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost of the University of Georgia. We hope you can join us!
---

5. Opportunity: a2ru Emerging Creatives Student Summit
February 7-10
James Madison University
Application Deadline: January 15
https://www.a2ru.org/events/2019-emerging-creatives-student-summit/

The Alliance for the Arts in Research Universities (a2ru) Emerging Creatives Student Summits bring together students who have an interest in the arts, crossing disciplinary boundaries, and developing collaborative projects. Each year, 80-100 undergraduate and graduate students attend the summit from a2ru partner universities across the country, along with 12-15 administrators, faculty, and staff. These summits have a strong project-based component with activities such as panel discussions with special guests, keynote speakers, site visits or field trips, performances and exhibitions, networking opportunities, and "bootcamp" or skill-building experiences built in throughout to collaboratively tackle and solve grand challenges.

This year's theme is Food and Place. Food is the common language of life. Across the world, people use it to establish and maintain relationships and to celebrate important events. Food also frequently takes on a symbolic dimension in culture, representing everything from love to social status. Differing approaches to its production and consumption profoundly affect our economic systems, public health, and climate. Our connection to food is multi-faceted, inspiring a wide range of creative works.

This summit will be hosted by James Madison University, which is located at the center of the Shenandoah Valley, a diverse community long-defined by food production, from family-run farms to large-scale commercial agriculture. This event brings together students from a variety of disciplines to work on projects that consider the relationship between food and place. The summit will feature panels and working group leadership from distinguished professors at James Madison University, as well as leading artists and scholars from around the country.

Join us this coming February 7-10 to advance your own creative work or research through interdisciplinary collaboration with your peers at leading institutions across the U.S. Undergraduate and graduate students in any and all fields are welcome, particularly those that care about and have a deep interest in the concept of this year's theme. We especially encourage student research teams from biology, ecology, and related fields, as well as artists/designers, to apply.
----

6. Opportunity: Graduate Interdisciplinary Research Conference
Saturday, February 23
Miller Learning Center
Application Deadline:  December 31
https://uga.campuslabs.com/engage/submitter/form/start/233897

Your Graduate Student Association (GSA) is pleased to announce the theme for this year's Graduate Interdisciplinary Research Conference: Resistance and Renewal.

We welcome submissions from all members of the UGA graduate and professional student community as we come together to discuss ways that we are resisting, revising, re-envisioning, reinvigorating, and renewing the paradigms of our disciplines and the practices of higher education.

Have an experimental idea? We'd love to hear it! We are encouraging UGA graduate students to go beyond the usual paradigms at this year's conference. While all traditional submissions will be welcome (e.g., papers, posters, and roundtables), we want this to be an event in which graduate students inspire each other to take risks. Experimenting with dance? Have an improv idea? Dream of running a field experience or hands-on workshop? Want to test-run performances or exhibitions?
---

7. Opportunity: Willson Center Graduate Research Awards
Deadline: January 22
https://willson.uga.edu/opportunities/fellowships-grants/willson-grants-awards/

The Willson Center Graduate Research Award provides support of up to $1,250 toward research-related expenses for arts and humanities projects that are essential components of a graduate degree program. Applicants should explain the importance of their proposed activity and justify it within their field(s) of study in a context of research excellence. The Willson Center is particularly interested in fostering interdisciplinary research at the graduate level.

Application is open to any humanities and arts graduate student registered for an advanced degree. Previous graduate student research award recipients are ineligible. Graduate students may be supported in travel to archives, installations and performances, and other sites related to their research projects. Applicants who give a lecture or presentation of their work at another institution during the award of this grant must recognize the Willson Center as a source of support.
---

Ideas for Creative Exploration is an interdisciplinary initiative for advanced research in the arts at UGA, supported in part by the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School, and the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts.

facebook.com/ideasforcreativeexploration

For more events and opportunities visit:

art.uga.edu
arts.uga.edu
calendar.uga.edu
dance.uga.edu