ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Mark Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2019 08:20:37 -0400
ICE Announcements 4.16.19
http://ice.uga.edu

1. Screening and discussion: Hidden Rivers (4/17)
2. Idea Lab Conversation: How to start a festival (4/22)
3. Exhibition: New Gods/Old Gods (until 4/28)
4. Savage Conversations: A Theatrical Reading (4/16)
5. Third Thursday Events (4/18)
6. Symposium: Gender, the Body, & Fieldwork (4/19)
7. Opportunity: Dance Exchange Summer Institute (scholarship deadline 4/19)
8: Reading Room: Creative Capital On Our Radar
---

1. Screening and discussion: Hidden Rivers
Wednesday, April 17 at 6:30 PM
Cine, 234 W. Hancock Ave.
Trailer: https://vimeo.com/66103145

"Hidden Rivers" is a new feature-length film that explores the rivers and streams of the Southern Appalachian region, North America's most biologically rich waters. The film follows the work of conservation biologists and explorers throughout the region and reveals both the beauty and vulnerability of this aquatic life and how many people are finding ways to protect it.

Presented with a light hors d'oeuvre reception catered by The National, gallery viewing of photos from Freshwaters Illustrated, and a panel discussion following the screening with the filmmaker, southeastern aquatic conservation professionals, and local interdisciplinary arts researchers. The event is being held in conjunction with the biennial Georgia Water Resources Conference.

The film was produced and directed by Jeremy Monroe of Freshwaters Illustrated, a nonprofit organization dedicated to raising awareness about aquatic ecosystems through photography, video and film.

"We worked for nearly ten years to make an immersive film that would give audiences a deep dive into the river ecosystems of Southern Appalachia, along with a glimpse of the species and habitat conservation work that is happening throughout the region," said Monroe. "Our hope is that this film will inspire more conversations about river and water conservation in the Southeast, and that river conservation groups will use the film as a way to enlighten and broaden their own communities."

The program will begin in the Cine Lab at 6:30 with a reception and gallery viewing of Freshwaters Illustrated photographs. "Hidden Rivers" will be shown at 7:30, followed by a Q&A session featuring Monroe, southeastern aquatic conservation professionals and local interdisciplinary arts researchers. Confirmed panelists include Bernard Kuhajda, science program manager for the Tennessee Aquarium Conservation Institute; Bud Freeman, director of the Georgia Museum of Natural History; Alex Lamle, aquatic biologist with The Nature Conservancy and Abigail West, a student in the Lamar Dodd School of Art and intern with the UGA office of Sustainability.

Support for the event was provided by the Johnson Family Foundation and co-sponsored by the Georgia Water Resources Conference and the University of Georgia's River Basin Center, Office of Sustainability, and Ideas for Creative Exploration.

Tickets are $5 per person and are available at the Cine box office or online at:
http://athenscine.com/movie/hidden-rivers
---

2. Idea Lab Conversation: How to start a festival
Monday, April 22 at Noon
Lamar Dodd Building, Room S160

Ad-verse Fest producer and AC Carter will discuss in detail about how they organized, curated, and visualized Ad-verse Fest -- a two day festival highlighting solo and duo performers cross genre.
---

3. Exhibition: New Gods/Old Gods
March 25-April 28
ATHICA, 675 Pulaski Street, Suite 1200
http://athica.org/updates/new-gods-old-gods/

Made Bayak was born in 1980 in Tampaksiring, Gianyar Regency, Bali, Indonesia. He completed his studies at the Indonesian Institute of the Arts Denpasar in Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia in 2006. His work addresses the human devastation of the Indonesian genocide of 1965-66 and the environmental devastation of the Balinese island's once-pristine environment caused by tourism-driven development and the lack of local awareness of best ecological practices. His methods include activism and social organization, teaching workshops, painting, drawing, sculptural objects, installations, performance art, and music performed with his heavy metal rock band Geeksmile.
---

4. Savage Conversations: A Theatrical Reading
April 16 at 7 PM
Fine Arts Buiding, Balcony Theatre (400)

Theatrical reading of UGA professor Leanne Howe's book "Savage Conversations," hosted in coordination with the Department of Theatre & Film Studies, Department of English, and the Creative Writing Program at UGA.
---

5. Third Thursday Events
Thursday, April 18 from 6 - 9 PM
http://3thurs.org

All exhibitions are free and open to the public.

Georgia Museum of Art
Lyndon House Arts Center
ATHICA: Athens Institute for Contemporary Art
Cine
Hotel Indigo, Athens
The Classic Center
---

6. Symposium: Gender, the Body, & Fieldwork
Friday, April 19 from 9 AM - 5 PM
Miller Learning Center
https://genderandfieldwork.wordpress.com/

Gender, the Body, & Fieldwork delves into non-binary definitions and narratives of gender and the body within fieldwork through community dialogue storytelling and creative expressions. This event will be a full day of opening up discussion on what is "fieldwork," constructing narratives of body within fieldwork, a plenary lunchtime speaker, mentoring, and collaborative media engagements between artists and researchers. Students are encouraged to lend their knowledge of media and performance to the creative expressions session of the symposium as well as participate in the other sections throughout the day.
---

7. Dance Exchange Summer Institute
Scholarship deadline April 19
http://danceexchange.org/projects/institutes/

As part of the Organizing Artists for Change initiative, Dance Exchange institutes embrace process and performance, dialogue and dancemaking, and the role of artists as changemakers. They support reflection and response to important issues and opportunities of our time, and build capacities and connections for artists to ignite inquiry and inspire change in their own communities.

Module 1, July 5-12- Artmaking in Action: Evolving Creative Practices
Module 2, July 14-20- Dancemaking Performance Intensive
---

8. Reading Room: Creative Capital On Our Radar
https://creative-capital.org/on-our-radar/

Creative Capital invests in innovative and adventurous artists across the country through funding, counsel and career development. On Our Radar 2019 features noteworthy projects in all disciplines that advanced to the final round in the competitive selection process for the Creative Capital Award. During each award cycle, Creative Capital has the great privilege of learning about a wealth of exciting artists' projects. By promoting projects "on our radar" to our community of people who are passionate about the arts, we can forge connections that lead to new support and collaborative opportunities. We invite you to explore projects featured in On Our Radar, and follow links to artists' websites to find out more about how you can get involved making their visions a reality.
---

Ideas for Creative Exploration is an interdisciplinary initiative for advanced research in the arts at UGA, supported in part by the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School, and the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts.

ice.uga.edu
facebook.com/ideasforcreativeexploration

For more events and opportunities visit:

art.uga.edu
arts.uga.edu
calendar.uga.edu
dance.uga.edu