ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
UGA Arts Collaborative <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2023 12:44:10 -0400
Annie Sprinkle & Beth Stephens Events
October 11 - 14
https://www.drama.uga.edu/news/stories/2023/visiting-artists-annie-sprinkle-beth-stephens

For the last decade, Annie Sprinkle and Beth Stephens have been creating performance under the rubric of "ecosexuality" in which they playfully provoke audiences to think differently about their relationship to the Earth: instead of imagining Earth as mother, how would we treat the Earth if we thought of it as a lover? How would our behavior change? How might we, then, co-create a more sustainable future?

This series of workshops and events introduces participants to Sprinkle & Stephens' ecosexuality performances and their creative techniques. All activities are open to students, staff, faculty, and community.

*Thursday, October 12*

Introduction to Ecosex Art & Ideas
Artist Talk and Workshop Part 1
6 - 8 PM
Fine Arts Building, Cellar Theatre

*Friday, October 13*

Let's Make a Performance Art Happening Together
Workshop Part 2: Develop concepts, Prepare costumes, Make props... get creative
1:50 - 3:30 PM
Fine Arts Building, Cellar Theatre

*Screening + Q&A: Water Makes Us Wet*
5 PM
Fine Arts Building, Balcony Theatre (Room 400)

With a poetic blend of curiosity, humor, sensuality and concern, "Water Makes Us Wet" (80 min.) chronicles the pleasures and politics of H2O from an ecosexual perspective. Travel around California with Annie, a former sex worker, Beth, a UCSC professor, and their dog Butch, in their E.A.R.T.H. Lab mobile unit, as they explore water in the Golden State. Along the way, Annie and Beth interact with a diverse range of folks including performance artists, biologists, water treatment plant workers, scholars and others, climaxing in a shocking event that reaffirms the power of water, life, and love.

*Saturday, October 14*

I Love You (Earth) Day! Free Sidewalk Ecosex Clinic
It's part performance art happening, part sex ed, and part pleasure activism
Noon
Location TBD

This event is sponsored by the UGA Arts Collaborative,  Willson Center for Humanities & Arts, The Athenaeum, Department of Theatre & Film Studies, Institute of Women's Studies, and Sustainable UGA.
---

The UGA Arts Collaborative is an interdisciplinary initiative for advanced research in the arts at the University of Georgia, supported in part by the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School, and the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts.

http://arts-collab.uga.edu

For more events and opportunities visit:
http://calendar.uga.edu/