ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
carmon colangelo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Inst. for Creative Exploration
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 09:54:36 +0000

ICE Meeting, October 30,2000

Present:  Leonard Ball, R.G. Brown, Stephen Corey, Jolene Davis, Mike
Hussey, Gretchen Hupfel, David Koffman, Carl Martin, David Saltz, Ben
Reynolds, Susan Roberst, Bala Sarasvati, Hugh Ruppersburg, Scott Shamp,
Stanley Longman, Cicely Osborne, Bethany Springer, Joshua Stewart,
Heather Abernathy and Jennifer Messer.

Dear Colleagues:

First let me thank everyone for a good opening meeting of the ICE
planning and project committee.

Once again, I am very pleased to get the ball rolling and really
appreciate your willingness to participate in the execution of this
important initiative. Special thanks go to Bala Sarasvati, Chic Ball,
David Koffman and David Saltz for their presentations giving an
overview of their collaborations in dance, music , interactive theatre
and animation. David Saltz also handed out his 21st Century Performance
project which encapsulates the pioneer spirit and focus of ICE.

A summary of yesterdayÕs meeting:

I passed out a packet of material ( attached )that included a summary
of the InstituteÕs, mission and objectives. This is to be used as a
draft document to help shape the formal proposal. The packet also
includes information about Institutes and Centers on and off-campus and
potential partner programs in New York, Liverpool and Banff, Alberta.
It also includes free tickets to the Terry Allen performance at the
Georgia Theatre on November 14 at 9 PM. I hope you'll come to what
should be a lively event.

We decided at yesterday's meeting to proceed with two sub-committees 1)
The ICE Planning Committee, that is charged with developing and
drafting the formal Institute Proposal and 2) The Project Committee
will identify pilot projects to be supported this fiscal year. David
Saltz will chair this sub-Committee. Essentially each committee will be
composed of half of the full committee to include students mebers as
well. There will be approximately 6 faculty and 3 students on each.
Please send me an e-mail at [log in to unmask] to indicate which of
the two committees you would like to serve on as soon as possible.

I will ask both Chairs to establish regular weekly or bi-weekly meeting
times and report their activities to the full ICE committee via our
listserve at [log in to unmask] Progress reports, decisions and
plans will be discussed at full meetings the next of which I would like
to hold the next full committee meeting at the Tanners Art Building,
November  27, 2000. The room will be announced.

In the meantime, Susan Roberts and I will also discuss the need for a
3rd Committee to develop a renovation plan for the lower level of the
Tanners Art Building. If we need one I'll sort through this in
the next week or two. Stanley Longman also recommended adding an "S" to
ICE to include "Studies" (The Institute for Creative Exploration and
Studies in the Arts) that the planning committee is asked to discuss
and consider in their process. Joshua Stewart raised a question about
student involvement.  StudentÕs representatives will serve on both
committees and open student and faculty forums will be planned and
encouraged. For example, funds could be used to execute a week of
focused related events and presentations.

As annnounced yesterday, Dr. Karen Holbrook, Senior Vice President for
Academic Affairs and Provost and Dr. Wyatt Anderson, Dean of the
Franklin College of Arts have provided $ 20,000 each in matching funds
for 2000-01 for planning the Institute and for related pilot projects.
Funds are to be used to support dialogue leading to the formal proposal
of the Institute as well as for related collaborative creative
activities in this fiscal year. We didn't speak about the web site
yesterday, but I would be very interested if any of you are willing to
spend time working on the ICE web-site.

Funds for 2000-01 could be used as follows:

o Guest  artists-in-residence and/or guest speakers.

o Stipends to execute a new interdisciplinary project or support one in
progress.

o Support for materials and basic equipment.

o A day-long  retreat .

o Production of a small catalogue and web-site documenting
collaborative creative activities in the arts at  UGA .

I will continue to work with both sub- committees and to plan meetings
of the whole. A day -long retreat was also discussed as a good way to
bring about focused planning. We will begin considering a date and
location.

I hope the information presented yesterday was cogent enough to get
things started on the right track.  Of course, I welcome your ideas
and suggestions along the way.

Cheers,

Carmon

Carmon Colangelo, Director