ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Mark Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2021 08:55:21 -0400
ICE Announcements 4.26.21
http://ice.uga.edu
---

1. Botanical Garden Soundwalk
2. Poetry event: Seat in the (Pleasant) Shade (4/27)
3. Outdoor Poetry Readings (4/27-28)
4. Art Restart Salon (4/28)
5. Ground Works Ask-an-Editor (4/28)
6. Lost in the Weeds Events (4/29 and 5/6)
7. a2ru Webinar: Foundation Funding (4/30)
8. UGA Symposium on Recognition, Reconciliation, and Redress (4/30 and 5/1)
9. Creative Reuse Days (5/5 and 5/19)
10. UGA MFA Exhibition (until 5/15)
11. Faculty Sustainability Workshop (5/18)
12. Opportunity: Creative Catalyst Fellowships
13. Opportunity: Dance Exchange Summer Programs
14. Opportunity: ACAC Artist's Assistant (deadline 5/9)
15. Opportunity: Arts Writers Grant (deadline 5/19)
16. Opportunity: a2ru 2021 Conference (deadline 5/21)
17. Opportunity: Georgia Sea Grant  (deadline 5/31)
18. Opportunity: CURO Research Assistantship (deadline 6/1)
19. Opportunity: TRANS-GENERATIVES 2030 (deadline 6/15)
20. Opportunity: Echoverse anthology (deadline 6/30)
---

1. Botanical Garden Soundwalk
Through summer 2021
State Botanical Garden of Georgia
https://tinyurl.com/ugasoundwalk

The Botanical Garden Soundwalk is a collection of soundscapes created by members of the UGA Student Composers Association in partnership with the UGA State Botanical Garden. Student and faculty composers engaged with Cora Keber, State Botanical Garden Director of Education, to learn about and respond to different environments within the Garden. Playback of soundscapes on the ECHOES app is prompted by the geolocation positioning of the listener within the grounds of the Garden. Visitors can craft their own interactive soundtrack by virtue of the duration and order of regions they encounter. The Botanical Garden Soundwalk begins at the Garden Visitor Center and continues in all other gardens and collections. Supported in part by an Idea Lab Mini Grant.
---

2. Seat in the (Pleasant) Shade: Poetry Reading
Tuesday, April 27 at 6 PM
https://coe.uga.edu/events/big-read

The summer poetry series "Seat in the Shade" kicks off with a slate of local writers that include the first Athens Cultural Affairs Commission (ACAC) Poet Laureate, who will be announced on April 27, at a live webinar reading. This event is part of the "Something More Pleasant" series of events connecting Athens readers to Roz Chast's book, "Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant?."
---

3. National Poetry Month Outdoor Student Poetry Reading

Tuesday, April 27 at 4 PM
In front of the Main Library

Wednesday, April 28 at 4 PM
Miller Learning Center, Head Terrace Amphitheatre

Student poets from Stillpoint, UGA's student literary magazine, hosted in conjunction with The Georgia Review, a nationally acclaimed literary-culture journal that is a unit of the Libraries. Attendees should follow COVID-19 safety protocols during the outdoor events.
---

4. Art Restart Salon
Wednesday, April 28 at 7:30 PM
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_sfrLaANPTzOWn0h26I5QtQ?blm_aid=346112

Please join the Thomas S. Kenan Institute for the Arts at UNC School of the Arts for the next Art Restart Salon, What's Next: Innovative Artists Imagine an American Renaissance. Moderator Pierce Freelon will lead four innovative artists in a thought-provoking conversation about how artists' capacity for creative problem-solving is allowing them to build a new landscape for the arts and move the nation forward into a more prosperous, equitable and united future.
---

5. Ground Works Ask-an-Editor
Wednesday, April 28 at 5 PM
https://groundworks.io/announcements/6

Wonder where you'll publish the arts-integrative research you're doing this summer?
Interested in connecting with other people who work in the interstices of the arts and other disciplines?
Want to bounce a submission idea off a Ground Works Editor? If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, join us for Ground Works Ask-an-Editor!

We'll give a brief presentation on the Ground Works submission process and publication criteria, then open the floor for questions. Ground Works Editors will meet one-on-one (breakout rooms) with anyone interested in talking through the specifics of a potential submission. During these sessions, we invite all attendees to stay and get to know one another!

Ground Works is a compendium of exemplary interdisciplinary arts-inclusive collaborative research projects, and a hub for reflection on the processes that drive such work.
---

6. Lost in the Weeds Events (4/29 and 5/6)

Lost in the Weeds: Climate Change and Human Nature
April 17 - May 22, 2021
https://athica.org/updates/weeds/

Streaming Talk on Using Nature in Alternative Photo Processes by Craig Coleman
Thursday, April 29 at 7 PM
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEsceyupzMiEt32aryzKmFq6okOuKYnDBHK

Streaming Curators and Artist Panel Discussion with Live Catalog Launch
Thursday, May 6 at 7 PM
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEqd-yrrjkiGdA_ctKIIO8Y9gh9u4uxYB7z

An exhibition curated by Macon-based artist/curator Craig Coleman and featuring the works of eleven individual artists and four collaborative artist teams from across the country and beyond. All use the stuff of nature to convey the beauty, mystery, and inescapability of its rule, and perhaps, its ruin. The technology-infused works on display take form through new approaches to sculpture, installation, video, interactive sound and video, virtual reality, animation, blown glass, weaving, and more and derive their substance from natural materials, the ecosystems of the world, and data from natural phenomenon. Thought-provoking, energetic, and urgent, these works both analyze our changing environment and substantiate a new way for art to express the effects of humanity on our small planet.
---

7. a2ru Webinar: Foundation Funding
Friday, April 30 at 3 PM
https://www.a2ru.org/events/funding-arts-and-design-advancing-scholarship-education-and-creative-practice-part-one-federal-funding-2/

This session will familiarize artists and researchers from the Alliance for the Arts in Research Universities (a2ru) network with the current private foundation landscape in the US for the arts and humanities in higher education. Speakers will discuss:

Distinctions between major national, community and family foundations,
how to determine each organization's funding priorities and possible fit for a given project seeking funding
how to establish relationships with funders
best practices for compelling proposals
Attendees will have an opportunity to ask questions by submitting them in advance, or at the end of the session.
---

8. History of Slavery at the University of Georgia: Symposium on Recognition, Reconciliation, and Redress
Friday, April 30 and Saturday, May 1
https://www.slaveryatuga.org

The inaugural History of Slavery at the University of Georgia: Symposium on Recognition, Reconciliation, and Redress will feature presentations and performances on the histories of slavery at the University of Georgia. The Symposium will seek to recognize, reconcile, and redress the historical and contemporary impacts of slavery at UGA and in Athens, Georgia. Participating will be scholars, activists, political representatives, artists, educators, students, and practitioners who are interested in exploring racial justice within and beyond the UGA community. The event is free and open to the public, but registration is required and is limited to 500 viewers.
---

9. Open Creative Reuse Days at the Teacher Reuse Store
Wednesday, May 5
Wednesday, May 19
https://www.accgov.com/TRS

The Teacher Reuse Store will now be open every other Wednesday (2 - 6:30 pm) to certain community groups. No appointment or registration required, but please do bring some form of identification that you are from one of these groups: students, artists, nonprofits, camp & after school programs, religious organizations, and teachers from ANY county. Oh, and a reminder: everything is totally FREE.
---

10. Whistling in the Dark: UGA MFA at the Athenaeum
April 12 - May 15
The Athenaeum
287 West Broad Street
Galleries open Thursday - Saturday, 10:30 AM - 5 PM

The Lamar Dodd School of Art is pleased to announce the opening of the annual MFA Thesis Exhibition, displaying works by students graduating with their Master of Fine Arts Degree. Whistling in the Dark features the work of seven MFA students working in a variety of media from video to installation, painting, photography, and sculpture. Artists in the exhibition include: Mac Balentine, Matthew J. Brown, Caitlin Adair Daglis, Alex McClay, Katharine Miele, Ciel Rodriguez, and Kelsey Wishik.
---

11. Faculty Sustainability Workshop
Tuesday, May 18 from 9 AM - 12 PM
https://ugeorgia.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_a00QDdYNocruMzc

Interested in interdisciplinary conversations around local and global challenges?  Are you new to teaching sustainability or been teaching about it for years and want some fresh ideas? Join your peers for a half day workshop focused on integrating sustainability concepts and ideas into the classroom. Through small and large group discussion, we will discuss techniques and strategies for inclusion, student engagement, and opportunities to collaborate across disciplines.  Faculty are invited to share their experience and learn from each other through facilitated conversations and activities.  This workshop will include a focus on community sustainability, resilience, and recovery from COVID-19.

Location: Flinchum's Phoenix in Whitehall Forest.  The large discussions will be indoors with windows open at a safe Covid capacity.  We will make use of the ample porch and outdoor spaces for our small group conversations.  A box lunch will be available at noon to take with you or eat on location for additional networking and conversation outside.
---

12. Creative Catalyst Fellowships
Various deadlines
https://www.uncsa.edu/kenan/creative-catalyst/fellowships/index.aspx

Creative Catalyst Fellowships, in partnership with the Thomas S. Kenan Institute for the Arts at UNC School of the Arts, are highly competitive, paid fellowships that advance artist leadership through skill-building, mentoring, and community of practice; strengthen creative community networks to better address regional gaps; foster systemic approaches to increase access, inclusion and equity; and embrace participation and exchange across the creative sector.  Creative Catalyst Fellows will also gain access to educational and community-building opportunities.

CITY OF GREENSBORO/CREATIVE GREENSBORO - GREENSBORO, N.C.
Fellowship in Neighborhood Arts

HANGAR THEATRE COMPANY - ITHACA, N.Y.
Education & Engagement Associate

MIXXER - WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.
Fellowship in Community Engagement

POCOSIN ARTS - COLUMBIA, N.C.
Fellowship in Community Engagement
---

13. Dance Exchange Summer Programs

Summer Institute
https://www.danceexchange.org/2021-dx-summer-institute

As part of our Organizing with Artists for Change (OAC) initiative, DX Institutes embrace process and performance, dialogue and dancemaking, and the role of artists as changemakers. The 2021 Summer Institute offers two modules: Module 1 takes place online, July 9-11. Module 2 is a hybrid online/in-person experience happening in three satellite locations throughout the US.

Co|Lab
https://www.danceexchange.org/co-lab

Wednesday, June 9
Saturday, June 12
Wednesday, June 16
Wednesday, June 23
Wednesday, June 30

Join the 2021 Virtual Co|Lab to work with Dance Exchange  Executive Artistic Director Cassie Meador, and Partnering Artists Dr. Jame McCray and Christina Catanese to create and perform a new online choreographic work. As a 2021 Co|Lab participant, you will contribute to the creative development of Future Fields, a new performance project that explores how food is, or could be, grown and experienced in a changing world. Collaborating with artists from across the country, you'll explore creative tools and practices for making dances -- both in front of your screen and out in the natural world. This year's Co|Lab will contain a mix of time together on Zoom and time to work independently away from your computer.
---

14. ACAC Artist's Assistant
Deadline: May 9
https://www.accgov.com/10019/Greenway-Artist-Assistant-Application

The Athens Cultural Affairs Commission (ACAC) is seeking a local artist (resident of Clarke, Madison, Oglethorpe, Oconee, Barrow, or Jackson county) to serve as a temporary, part-time Artist's Assistant to the selected Lead Artist on an upcoming Greenway public art project (coming Summer 2021). This position would serve as support for the Lead Artist in sourcing materials, planning, as well as assisting with construction/installation of the public artwork. Interested applicants must have an interest in the arts and experience in construction and/or fabrication is preferred. The Artist Assistant will be compensated at a rate of $25/hour up to $2500 total for this project (up to 100 hours total). This is an opportunity for artists to learn more about fabrication and the public art process.
---

15. Opportunity: Arts Writers Grant
Deadline: May 19
https://www.artswriters.org

The Andy Warhol Foundation Arts Writers Grant, administered by Creative Capital, supports emerging and established writers who write about contemporary visual art. Ranging from $15,000 to $50,000 in three categories -- articles, books, and short-form writing -- the grants support a wide variety of projects, from short reviews for magazines and newspapers to in-depth scholarly studies.
---

16. a2ru 2021 Conference Sharing Stories: The Case for Art
Conference dates: November 3-5
Proposal deadline: May 21
https://www.a2ru.org/events/a2ru-2021-conference-sharing-stories-the-case-for-art/

Over the last twelve months, we have seen a range of sources acknowledge the powerful importance of the arts, particularly in the Covid era. As arts practitioners and leaders, we embrace our role in this unprecedented moment, even as we continue to rethink our disciplines, how our methods have changed during this time, and what the future of the arts might look like.

The Alliance for the Arts in Research Universities (a2ru) will use this year's online conference to meet this unique moment in a uniquely artful way. We will engage and explore how we can best deploy what we hope has not changed -- our passion for the arts, for arts education, and for arts integration -- through storytelling, rather than traditional conference presentations. We invite participants to connect their research and/or practice with their preferred storytelling method and explain how the arts, arts education, arts advocacy, and/or arts integration are important, particularly in this moment. We especially welcome STEM researchers and practitioners who can use storytelling to demonstrate the power of arts integration in their field.

a2ru also acknowledges that not all forms of art are viewed equally. In addition to proposals that make the case for the importance of art in the Covid era, we welcome proposals that advocate for a re-examination of which arts, as well as which artists, are viewed as important in the field overall.

Storytellers will present their case for the importance of the arts in a short -- approximately five minute -- creative nonfiction story format. Live stories should be told, and not read. Storytelling can also take any number of creative forms: acting, film, painting, sand animation, sculpting, song, spoken word poetry, etc. We also encourage performances, such as dance, music, puppetry, etc. Performers may submit a narrative to accompany their performance, but this is not necessary. Group narratives are welcome. Additional time will be allotted as needed. Regardless of format choice, all submissions are subject to the criteria listed below.

We will prioritize proposals that have an interdisciplinary focus, and we stress that this call is open to the full range of disciplines, including but not limited to: art, design, engineering, humanities, medicine, public health, and the sciences. a2ru also encourages proposals that include empirical and/or qualitative evidence. Finally, as we recognize the unique way that artistic practice contributes to knowledge, and because this year's conference format calls for a shift away from our "default settings," we encourage submissions that are not only about the arts, but are themselves instantiated through the arts.
---

17. Georgia Sea Grant Artists, Writers and Scholars Program
Deadline: May 31
https://gacoast.uga.edu/research/funding/aws-program/

Georgia Sea Grant strives to strengthen artistic voices, and enhance Georgia's profile as a place where artists, writers and scholars can live and thrive while offering fresh perspectives on our coastal resources. Georgia Sea Grant's Artists, Writers and Scholars (AWS) program will support artists, writers, and scholars in the humanities to produce professional-quality art and literature that increases awareness of Georgia's coastal, ocean and marine environments, improves understanding of Georgia's coastal communities, or helps document history, culture, or heritage of Georgia's coast. Creative projects that could be supported by this program include paintings, graphic art, sculpture, musical compositions, photography, poetry, science fiction, film, and digital media.

Georgia Sea Grant will award 3-5 grants that range from $1,000 to $5,000. These grants will be awarded directly to artists and writers.

Eligibility
Artists, writers or scholars who live in Georgia and whose work is related to Georgia's coastal, ocean and marine environments will be eligible for funding consideration.

Georgia Sea Grant encourages applications from individuals from historically marginalized groups, including Black or African-American, American Indian, Hispanic or Latino, female, first-generation college students, veterans, LGBTQ+ and individuals with disabilities.
---

18. CURO Research Assistantship
Deadline for Summer: April 7
https://ugeorgia.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4HnF7PtW66Kzjtr

The CURO Research Assistantship supports experiential learning opportunities that only a major research university can provide. Each year, as part of an initiative to enhance the UGA learning environment, the CURO Research Assistantship Program provides 500 stipends of $1,000 each to outstanding undergraduate students across campus to actively participate in faculty-mentored research.
---

19. Call for Proposals: TRANS-GENERATIVES 2030
Deadline: June 15
https://www.a2ru.org/call-for-proposals-trans-generatives-2030-due-june-15-2021/

Submit to be part of the inaugural UNESCO Chair for Arts & Culture Convening this fall (virtual & in person in Nancy, FR). We invite artists, scientists, students, scholars, decision- and policy-makers and stakeholders to showcase integrated approaches of understanding, organizing and acting upon challenges of sustainability including but not limited to Responsible Education and Research, Climate Action, Biodiversity, Food Systems, Business and Management, Wellbeing, Finance, Responsible Consumption and Production. We are open to hybrid forms of action-research, dedicated to actively and concretely transforming life, science and art: participative performances, joint presentations, workshops, round tables, scientific communications, hackathons, mobs, apps, role-plays, games and other (un)conventional formats.
---

20. Echoverse anthology
Deadline: June 30
https://echoverseanthology.com/

Echoverse, a digital anthology of writing about the environment and climate change, is seeking submissions for its second volume. Last year, writers and visual artists from UGA and beyond contributed to the first iteration of the project. The theme for 2021's volume will be TIME CAPSULE, and we're collecting short prose, poetry, hybrid work, art, music and letters to the future into a digital time capsule that will offer the world to come a record of the place and time we live in now.  Echoverse is edited by UGA PhD student Christina Wood.
---

Ideas for Creative Exploration is an interdisciplinary initiative for advanced research in the arts at UGA, supported in part by the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School, and the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts.

ice.uga.edu
facebook.com/ideasforcreativeexploration

For more events and opportunities visit:

a2ru.org
art.uga.edu
arts.uga.edu
athica.org