ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Mark Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:40:10 -0500
ICE Announcements 1.28.08
http://ice.uga.edu
---

1. ICE Grants Info Sessions
2. Anya Kivarkis lecture and opening (1/29)
3. Focus the Nation Dance performance (1/31)
4. Real Women Have Curves (1/29-2/3)
5. NEA Grants
6. Slow Art call for submissions
7. Cine Screenings
---

1. ICE Grants Info Sessions

Monday, January 28 at 2 PM
Wednesday, January 30 at 11 AM
Thursday, January 31 at 9 AM

ICE Studio, Tanner Building Room 101

Informal information sessions with Mark Callahan to learn about the current ICE Grants call for
proposals. Feel free to drop in and ask questions.

ICE Grants Call for Proposals
deadline February 15, 2008
Download application: http://ice.uga.edu/ice_grant.pdf

Ideas for Creative Exploration (ICE) seeks proposals for grants to be initiated during the 2007-
2008 academic year. Proposals will be considered in three categories: project grants ($500-
$5,000), seed grants for project development (up to $2,500), and assistance with external grant
proposal development (up to $2,500).
---

2. Anya Kivarkis
Lecture: Tuesday, January 29th, 5:30 PM
Room 102 of the Student Learning Center

Artist's Reception:Tuesday, January 29th, 7 PM
Broad Street Gallery

Anya Kivarkis describes her jewelry as “a challenge of authoritarian historical ornament through
alteration and mutation.” The effect?: Simple pieces that merge Victorian sentiment and abstract
design. Kivarkis received her BFA in Jewelry/Metalsmithing at the University of Illinois in Urbana-
Champaign and MFA in Metal from the State University of New York in New Paltz. She is currently
the Visiting Assistant Professor of Jewelry/Metalsmithing at the University of Oregon in Eugene.
---

3. The Dance Department's Dance Repertory Project and the PACES Project will present two new
works as part of the national Focus the Nation event at the University of Georgia on Thursday,
January 31st from 1:25-1:45pm, which are improvisatory and site specific (at the Georgia Center's
Lumpkin plaza). This performance features choreography and performance by PACES artistic
director, Rebecca Enghauser, Dance Department Lecturer, Denise Posnak, and the PACES dancers
as well as set design by Jocelyn Negron.

Please submit your “postcards from the future” which will be used as the live text narrative for the
dance performance at
http://athensfocusthenation.cfsites.org/
---

4. REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES, by Josefina Lopez
When: Jan 29-31, Feb 1-2 @ 8:00 pm Feb 3 @ 2:30 pm
Where: Cellar Theatre, Fine Arts Bldg.

Written when the playwright was just 19, this comedy about five immigrant women sparkles with
witty dialogue and unforgettable, touching characters.

Admission: $12 for UGA students & seniors 60+
$15 general admission
---

5. Application guidelines for the next round of Grants for Arts Projects are now available on the
National Endowment for the Art's Web site. Organizations may apply under the following
categories:

Access to Artistic Excellence: To encourage and support artistic excellence, preserve our cultural
heritage, and provide access to the arts for all Americans. An organization may request a grant
amount from $5,000 to $150,000. (Deadlines: March 10 and August 11, 2008)

Challenge America: Reaching Every Community Fast-Track Review Grants: To support projects
that extend the reach of the arts to underserved populations. Grants are for $10,000. (Deadline:
June 2, 2008)

Learning in the Arts for Children and Youth: To advance arts education for children and youth in
school-based or community-based settings. An organization may request a grant amount from
$5,000 to $150,000. (Deadline: June 9, 2008)

http://www.arts.gov/grants/apply
---

6. Slow Art -- SIGGRAPH 2008 Juried Exhibition
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

http://www.siggraph.org/s2008/submissions/juried/slowart/

In our digital culture, we can task simultaneously, message instantly, and prototype rapidly, but,
in doing so, do we create an oasis for contemplation, or do we fuel a hunger for yet more speed?
As technology colors all aspects of our world, we see the inevitable pendular response in
campaigns that advocate slowness.

The Italian membership organization Cittaslow's manifesto defines criteria for slow cities, focusing
on improved quality of life. Internationally, people are organizing to protect regional food
systems, traditions, and cuisine as part of the Slow Food Movement. There is a return to
artisanship, and a renewed focus on the local, as opposed to the global.

Throughout time, artists have pioneered the important task of illustrating and preserving
humanity. For the SIGGRAPH 2008 art program, we are seeking art and investigations that address
our overarching conference themes (Complexity and Accessibility, Future History, Global
Responsibility, Impact on Society, and Professional Development and Education) through the filter
of Slowness. Some questions we hope to explore are:

* In which ways do new media artists employ the tools of speed to address the issue of slowness?
* How does the speed afforded by technology affect the work we make?
* With the rapid changes in new media, how will these artworks be preserved, and do questions of
legacy affect the creative process?
* How can new media art assist in the preservation of cultural diversity?

All submissions will be juried. International works are highly encouraged. All forms of digitally
mediated work are eligible, as well as works made in traditional media that comment on
technology. Selections will be made according to the following criteria: relevance to the SIGGRAPH
2008 themes, creative use of media, depth of critical exploration, and quality of accompanying
artist statement.
---

7. SCREENING EVENTS @ CINE THIS WEEK
SHOWTIMES + MORE INFO: http://www.athenscine.com

movies:
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
THE SAVAGES
---

ICE is Ideas for Creative Exploration, an interdisciplinary initiative for advanced research in the arts
at the University of Georgia.