ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
carmon colangelo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Inst. for Creative Exploration
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 16:11:43 -0700
Dear ICE Colleagues, We are very quickly approaching the dates of the
ICE Collab 2 event this May 8 and 9, 2002. I know it has been a very
busy semester and as we come into the home stretch between exams and
graduation, I hope you will come out and enjoy as well as partcipate in
this program. Further, I hope you will encourage your students to
attend and spread the word to faculty and artists around town. I will
have posters ready tomorrow and will have some brought over to the
various departments. If you would like some to advertise please let me
know. I would appreciate if you would help let people know.

ICE Members Tara Rebele and Brian Henry have spearheaded
this program featuring performances by Circo Zero and Miranda July as
well as open collaborations. As an integral part of the two-day event,
Tara Rebele a nationally recognized performance artist living in Athens
will lead a day of on-site collaborations the morning of May 9. There
will be two collaborative work sessions and a lunch discussion.
Participants, including the visiting artists, will break into
collaborative teams and will work to create 5-10 minute pieces to
present that evening. The collaborative teams will be
multidisciplinary, giving participants an opportunity to experience a
wide range of artistic processes. For further information and to
participate please write [log in to unmask] or contact me at

The exhibiton "digigraphical," also showcases Athens-area artists
working in video and digital media will add another dimension to this
event. Curated by local artists Samantha Barnum and Kathryn Refi, this
show features large-scale projections and interactive web-based
projects by Kevin Hoth, Kathryn Jill Johnson, Michael Oliveri, Bill
Paul, Ryan Roth, John Rudel, Susan Watson and various ICE Collab 1
projects. The exhibition will be held in the Main Gallery of the Visual
Arts Building.

I have included a news release and schedule below in case you can't
open my attachments.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all. Cheers Carmon

INTERDISCIPLINARY COLLABORATIVE ARTS EVENT AT UGA TO FEATURE
PERFORMANCE ARTISTS AND OPEN COLLABORATIONS WITH INTERNATIONAL ARTISTS
MIRANDA JULY AND CIRCO ZERO

ATHENS, Ga. - ICE Collab 2, an interdisciplinary collaborative arts
event will be held at various locations at the University of Georgia
May 8 and May 9. All events are free and open to the public. Artists
from all disciplines are invited to participate in the collaborative
projects on May 9.

Events include performances by Circo Zero and Miranda July. Miranda
July is a multi-media performer and video artist. July is currently
featured in the 2002 Whitney Biennial where she had a sound
installation commissioned for the show. July's videos have screened
internationally at sites such as the Museum of Modern Art in New York,
the Guggenheim Museum and the International Film Festival Rotterdam. At
the ICECollab2, July will present new material from her work in
progress "How I Learned to Draw," a performance involving text, music
and improvisation. She will perform at the Cellar Theater in the Drama
Department in the Fine Arts Building on at 4:00 p.m. on May 8. CORE,
Concert Dance Company, will also perform Tensile Involvement (1953)
choreographed by Alwin Nikolais on that same evening.

Circo Zero will perform at 8:00 p.m. on May 8 at the New Dance Theater.
Directed by Keith Hennessy, Circo Zero is a diverse team of circus and
music artists who create a hybrid spectacle for the urban environment.
Their performance elements integrate traditional circus arts (aerial
fabric, cloud swing, acrobatics, contortion, aerial hoop, juggling) and
contemporary performance within a musical landscape of American
roots/folk songs supported by contemporary rhythms (hip hop, breakbeat,
ambient groove).

Noted writer, poet and the editor of verse, Brian Henry will lead of
the ICE Collab_2 events at 2 p.m. on May 8 with Open Performances in
Room 261, Park Hall, North campus. Students, faculty, and local writers
and artists are invited to share poetry, spoken word, fiction, drama,
comedy, performance art and music. These artists all compliment the
goals of I.C.E.

As an integral part of the two-day event, Tara Rebele a
performance artist living in Athens will lead a day of on-site
collaborations the morning of May 9. There will be two collaborative
work sessions and a lunch discussion. Participants, including the
visiting artists, will break into collaborative teams and will work to
create 5-10 minute pieces to present that evening. The collaborative
teams will be multidisciplinary, giving participants an opportunity to
experience a wide range of artistic processes.

The exhibiton "digigraphical," showcases Athens-area artists working in
video and digital media will add another dimension to this event.
Curated by local artists Samantha Barnum and Kathryn Refi, this show
features large-scale projections and interactive web-based projects by
Kevin Hoth, Kathryn Jill Johnson, Michael Oliveri, Bill Paul, Ryan
Roth, John Rudel, Susan Watson and various ICE Collab 1 projects. The
exhibition will be held in the Main Gallery of the Visual Arts
Building.

Created last year, Ideas for Creative Exploration in the Arts
(I.C.E.) facilitates and promotes innovative, interdisciplinaryprojects
that cut across traditional boundaries in the arts. It explores the
creative potential of technology by promoting critical discourse about
its development and use, and creates the conditions for "collaborative
studio" work in art, creative writing dance, drama and music.

I.C.E. is funded by the Office of Vice President and Provost
forAcademic Affairs and the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences.

##

ICE Collab 2, May 8 and 9, 2002.

May 8, 2002

Afternoon

2:00 PM

	Open  Performances: Room 261, Park Hall, North campus.

Students, faculty, and local writers and artists are invited to share
poetry,spoken word, fiction, drama, comedy, performance art and music.
Organized by Brian Henry and Tara Rebele.

4:00- 5:00 PM

MIRANDA JULY, Performance and Talk Back, Cellar Theater, Drama
Department,Fine Arts Building. July will present new material from her
work in progress "How I Learned to Draw,"  a performance involving
text, music and improvisation.

Evening

8:00 PM

CIRCO ZERO, Intimate and Spectacular Circus , New Dance Theater,
Directed by Keith Hennessy and created in collaboration with:
Amanda Starr Ð aerial arts
Ben Mendoza Ð aerial arts
Susan Voyticky Ð aerial arts
Jade-blue Eclipse - hand balance, contortion
Gabriel Todd - vocals
Loren Olds - vocals, bagpipe

CORE, Concert Dance Company, Tensile Involvement ( 1953.) Choreographer,  Alwin Nikolais.

May 9, 2002

Morning

9:00 	OPEN COLLABORATIONS, with Circo Zero  and Miranda July.
Open to anyone interested in working in collaborations. To sign up
and for further information contact Tara Rebele at: [log in to unmask]

Noon Lunch break

May 9, 2002

Afternoon

1- 3:00 OPEN COLLABORATIONS: continued.

Evening

7:00 PM

	"digigraphical," Curated by Samantha Barnum and Kathryn Refi.
Main Gallery, Lamar Dodd School of Art, Visual Arts Building,

Showcases Athens-area artists working in video and digital media.
The show features large-scale projections and interactive
web-basedprojects by Samantha  Barnum, Kevin Hoth, Kathryn Jill
Johnson, Michael Oliveri, Bill Paul,Ryan Roth,John Rudel, Susan Watson
and the ICE Collab 1.

8:30 	COLLABRATIVE WORKS PERFORMED, Lamar Dodd School of Art,Visual
Arts Building, Room 116.

All ICECollab2 events are free and open to the public.Sponsored by ICE
Ideas for Creative Exploration, The Departments of Dance, Drama,
English, Creative Writing and the Lamar Dodd School of Art at the
University of Georgia.  ICE is funded by the Franklin College of Arts
and Sciences and the Office of the Provost and Vice President for
Academic Affairs.

ICE WEB SITE: www.ice.uga.edu

Carmon Colangelo, Director
Lamar Dodd School of Art