ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Mark Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2013 09:43:48 -0500
ICE Announcements 1.23.13
http://ice.uga.edu
---

*The Return of ICE-Vision!*

1. ICE-Vision: Postal (1/23)
2. Colloquium: The Various Changes in Peter Pan (1/23)
3. Lecture: Politics and Memory (1/24)
4. Screening: Three Coins in the Fountain (1/24)
5. Performance: Anatoly Sheludyakov (1/24)
6. Cinema Roundtable: La Jetee (1/25)
7. Exhibition: And I Feel Fine (Begins 1/25)
8. Global Georgia Initiative Lecture: De-Mystifying Dixie (1/29)
9. Cine Screenings and Events
10. ICE Project Grants Invitation (open call)

For more listings visit http://iceannouncements.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ideasforcreativeexploration
Twitter: http://twitter.com/iceuga
---

1. ICE-Vision: Postal (Uwe Boll, 2007)
Wednesday, January 23 at 8 PM
Lamar Dodd School of Art Room S150
http://www.facebook.com/groups/120740834290/

ICE-Vision continues with Film Studies major Daniel LoPilato's weekly selections of eclectic,
idiosyncratic, psychotronic, or otherwise eccentric excursions into world cinema.

Produced amid the aimless hinterland of the United States' search for Osama Bin Laden, lately
depicted in Kathryn Bigelow's maniacally realist "Zero Dark Thirty," this farcical comedy from agent
provocateur Uwe Boll, who once went head-to-head in a series of boxing matches with critics vocal
about this film and others, is a trashy, irreverent, and at times reprehensible treatment of post-
9/11 America.  Boll's public persona preserves the brash confrontation of another German director,
Werner Herzog, without the artistry or the credentials.  What we're left with in art's stead is a spat
of video game adaptations funded on the German government's dime, a strange man, his
inexplicably and stubbornly terrible output, and what some might see as a refreshingly offensive
take on the United States and the legacy of its War on Terror. Or not.
---

2. Colloquium: "The Various Changes in 'Peter Pan' and its Reception by Audiences Over Time"
Wednesday, January 23 at 4 PM
Miller Learning Center, Room 248

For over a century, Peter Pan has continued to reappear in various forms, a testament to the lasting
power of J.M. Barrie's tale. How have the changes in these adaptations reflected the changes in our
cultural views, be they notions of race, sexuality, childhood, or gender? In the canon of English
children's literature, few stories resonate so singularly in our culture as that of Peter Pan, the play
and novel by Sir James Matthew Barrie. We say "story" because, while Peter Pan began as a stage
play, its many incarnations as novels, musicals, and movies have placed Barrie's creation at the
forefront of children's literature. When the play Peter Pan, or The Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up was
first staged in December 1904, the craze was so immediate that by 1909, writers were already
declaring the tale a classic, even before Barrie published the novelization in 1911. How did Peter
Pan capture so completely the imaginations of both the adults and children who viewed the play?
What made Peter Pan stand out from other children's stories at the time, and how has it endured so
pervasively, even today? This panel will bring together expert scholars in various fields to discuss
how James M. Barrie created a legend and how we as a culture continue to receive it. Confirmed
Panelists: Alison Alexander, Senior Associate Dean, Grady College of Journalism and Mass
Communication, Marla Carlson, Assistant Professor, Department of Theater and Film Studies,
Danielle Bray, Lecturer, Department of English. The colloquium is organized by Maria Cox, a
second-year Honors student doing research in children's literature and its adaptations in television
and film.
---

3. Lecture: "Politics and Memory: Civil War Monuments in New York City"
Thursday, January 24 at 4 PM
Jackson St. Building, Room 123

Akela Reason is Assistant Professor of History. She is a cultural historian with interests in American
material culture and urban history. As the financial and cultural center of postbellum America, New
York City erected some of the most visible, costly, and ambitious Civil War monuments in the
nation. Yet the city also achieved notoriety for divisive local politics coupled with an infamously
corrupt system of municipal political patronage. Through a close examination of major public
monuments by the leading architects and sculptors of the era, my research challenges recent
scholarship suggesting that the need for national healing and sectional reconciliation defined Civil
War commemoration in this period. New York's monuments instead tell a tale of national
remembrance hijacked by corrupt local politicians.
---

4. Screening: Americans in Italy Film Series: "Three Coins in the Fountain"
Thursday, January 24 at 7 PM
Georgia Museum of Art, M. Smith Griffith Auditorium

In Rome, three American secretaries toss coins into the Trevi fountain, wishing to find love in Italy.
This film combines the secretaries' romantic adventures with the stunning Italian locale and
famous monuments, reflecting the American sightseer's experience in Italy. Written by John Patrick
and directed by Jean Negulesco (United States, 1954). 102 minutes. NR.
---

5. Performance: Anatoly Sheludyakov
Thursday, January 24 at 8 PM
Ramsey Concert Hall

UGA faculty pianist Anatoly Sheludyakov gives a free recital. Sheludyakov, a winner of the 1977
Russian National Piano Competition, has recorded 25 albums of piano and chamber music and was
named "Honored Artist of the Russian Federation" in 1999.
---

6. Cinema Roundtable: "Science / Fiction / Time Games: Watching Chris Marker's La Jetee"
Friday, January 25 at 3:30 PM
Miller Learning Center, Room 150

Chris Marker's movie La Jetee (1962) is one of the most famous experiments in science fiction
cinema. This 30-minute film, composed of still, black & white images, explores time travel and
mental subjectivity in a poetic cinematic format. The roundtable will present the entire film,
including brief observations from the panelists, before opening the discussion up with the
audience. La Jetee, named for an airport jetty / gate area, offers a rare opportunity for students
and faculty to discuss this important avant-garde film, which was later reworked as Terry Gilliam's
12 Monkeys in 1995. Panelists include Rachel Gabara (Romance Languages), Jed Rasula (English),
and Andrew Zawacki (English), and moderator Richard Neupert (Film Studies).
---

7. Exhibition: And I Feel Fine
Opening Friday, January 25
Member Preview 5:30-6PM
Open to the public 6-8PM
ATHICA
http://athica.org

5:30-6:30PM music by Killick, Kate Morrissey, & John Norris
7-7:30PM performative artist talk by visiting artist David Mazure
5:30-8PM Tarot card readings with Autumn Weaver -

If you're reading this, the apocalypse didn't happen. After the fog subsides we are left to ask what
is happening? Artists have a history of encountering life with wonder and imagination. This
awareness and practice seem even more relevant when everything seems like bad news. On January
25, 2013, ATHICA: Athens Institute for Contemporary Art launches a much-anticipated exhibition,
AND I FEEL FINE, with internationally-renowned artist Paul Pfeiffer, and established and emerging
national artists Caitlin Foster, Liz Fuller, Maya Hayuk, Zachary Fabri, David Mazure, Suko Presseau,
and Anthony Wislar. AND I FEEL FINE celebrates the artist as cultural producer, optimist, and sage
in the wake of worldwide natural disasters, economic calamity, and the apocalypse that never
happened. It's about fun, humor, wonder, discovery, transcendence, and invention through failure.
This exhibition is the first curated by ATHICA's new Gallery Manager Hope Hilton.
---

8. Lecture: "De-Mystifying Dixie: Southern History and Culture in Global Perspective"
Tuesday, January 29 at 4 PM
Chapel, 109 Herty Field

James C. Cobb is widely recognized as one of the foremost scholars of Southern history and
culture--and among the first to write broadly about the South in a global context. Cobb has
written more than 40 articles and 12 books, mostly about the impact of changing economic
conditions on the South. Two of these, Away Down South: A History of Southern Identity and "The
Most Southern Place on Earth, his book about the Mississippi Delta, are considered classics in the
field. The latter quickly became a model for studying other regional cultures and subcultures, such
as those of Appalachia and New England. Committed to reaching beyond the scholarly community,
Cobb has written pieces for The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, The Wall Street Journal,
the New Republic, The Times Literary Supplement, and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. His latest
book, The New America: The South and the Nation Since World War II, was published in 2010 by
Oxford University Press. Cobb's work has won him a string of awards and prizes, named
lectureships, offices in professional associations, most notably the presidency of the Southern
Historical Association--and a dedicated audience of both academics and lay history buffs who
eagerly follow his work.
---

9. Cine Screenings and Events
http://www.athenscine.com

m o v i e s
GOLDEN GLOBE WINNER: BEST PICTURE!
ARGO - JAN 18-24
OSCAR NOMINEE: BEST PICTURE!
LIFE OF PI - THRU JANUARY 24
S T U D I O G H I B L I F I L M S E R I E S :
- CASTLE IN THE SKY - JAN 24-27
- MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO - JAN 31-FEB 3
- KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE - FEB 7-10

c o m i n g - s o o n

HYDE PARK ON HUDSON - JANUARY
HOLY MOTORS - FEBRUARY
OSCAR NOMINEE: BEST PICTURE!
SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK - FEBRUARY
RUST AND BONE - FEBRUARY
OSCAR NOMINEE: BEST PICTURE!
AMOUR - FEBRUARY
THE ROOM - MONTHLY LATE SHOW - FRI 1/25
--

10. ICE Project Grants Invitation
2012-2013 Project Grants

ICE invites Letters of Inquiry from UGA faculty and students for projects to be initiated during the
2012-2013 academic year. Selected inquiries will be invited to submit a full proposal and then be
considered for an ICE Project Grant.

Projects should be consistent with the ICE mission:

ICE is a catalyst for innovative, interdisciplinary creative projects, advanced research and critical
discourse in the arts, and for creative applications of technologies, concepts, and practices found
across disciplines. It is a collaborative network of faculty, students, and community members from
all disciplines of the visual and performing arts in addition to other disciplines in the humanities
and sciences. ICE enables all stages of creative activity, from concept and team formation through
production, documentation, and dissemination of research.

Letter of Inquiry should be no more 500 words and sent via email to:

Please include the following information:

* Title and brief description of proposed project.

* List of proposed participants (include titles and affiliations).

* Impact of project and potential for future development.