ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Mark Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:53:00 -0400
ICE Announcements 6.15.04
<http://ice.uga.edu>
---
1. E.L.I. is online
2. Michael Oliveri at The Contemporary
3. The Interventionists exhibition
4. CAE Defense Fund
---
1. Your favorite poet, E.L.I. (Electro-Linguistic Imaginator) is celebrating his first birthday this
month. Fresh off of his face lift, E.L.I. will tour America this summer, beckoning pedestrians and
old friends for new words that will increase his vocabulary.

For those who cannot join E.L.I. and his friends in person, you can now visit him online at: < http:/
/www.elinomad.com>

E.L.I. was incubated at The Kitchen in Manhattan in June, 2003. Since last summer, E.L.I. has seen
much of the east coast, traveling to D.C. and Florida, resting with Christian and Ben in Athens,
Georgia. He's a hit at political rallies and his poetry has grown considerably from the diverse
audiences he's encountered. E.L.I. Nomad is funded in part by a project grant from ICE.
---
2. Michael Oliveri Fast Food, Hydrocarbons and Waves in Outer Space
Atlanta Contemporary Art Center June 19 – August 7, 2004

Michael Oliver’s solo show is inspired by several related scientific discoveries and new theories of
a finite universe.  The exhibition fuses the aesthetics of experimental video, sculpture, and
science.  In one gallery, the soil-free fast-growing food facility “NASA Nourishment” is
accompanied by NASA exploration video footage. Another installation incorporates glass
sculptures of hydrocarbon models on Styrofoam surfaces that suggest the surface of Mars.
Images of waves and surfing in two installations evoke the influence of surfing and sailing on
Oliveri’s development as an artist growing up in Southern California.  From specific scientific
observations about Fullerenes, Hydroponics, and Sonic Growth, Oliveri makes the broader point
that innovation often occurs not as a result of structured research, but of accidental discoveries.

For more information visit: <http://www.thecontemporary.org>

3.  "The Interventionists" is an exhibition about the art of social activism currently on view at MASS
MoCA.  Strange audio guided bus tours of the Berkshires, genetic engineering laboratories, low-
rider lawn mowers, parasite mobile housing units, and architectural clothing are just some
examples of this new work. This large exhibition hosts work by 29 artists and collectives,
including subRosa, featuring UGA faculty member Laleh Mehran. The catalogue will come out in
the last week of June and will be available for purchase from the MASS MoCA and MIT press.
<http://www.massmoca.org>

4. Visit  <http://www.caedefensefund.org> for  a complete update on Steve Kurtz and the Critical
Art Ensemble, whose installation was seized by the FBI just prior to its installation at MASS MoCA.