ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Mark Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 2020 11:48:36 -0400
ICE Announcements 9.21.20
http://ice.uga.edu

1. Idea Lab Conversation: Kyle Morrison (9/23)
2. a2ru National Conference (Registration for 10/15-30)
3. Arts+STEM Graduate Workshops
4. Lecture: Amir H. Fallah (9/22)
5. Lecture: Jennifer Elise Foerster (9/24)
6. Lecture: Johanna Drucker (9/25)
7. Lecture: Tony Cokes (9/28)
8. Opportunity: Global Play Brigade
9. Opportunity: Athens Creatives Directory
10. Opportunity: Wild Rumpus (deadline 10/1)
11. Opportunity: The Defiance Project (deadline 10/31)
12. Opportunity: Campus Sustainability Grants (deadline 11/16)
13. Opportunity: Willson Center Department-Invited Artist or Lecturer (rolling deadline)
14. ArtPlace America Virtual Summit (Registration for 10/26-30)
---

1. Idea Lab Conversation: Kyle Morrison
Wednesday, September 23 at 2 PM
Zoom registration:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJMocu-qqjMiGNCzBWacSByuHNf0S1wFlzl7

How are creative practitioners and organizations managing current conditions? Join Kyle Morrison, VR developer and simulation engineer at Collins Aerospace for an informal conversation. Kyle was a Graduate Assistant in Interdisciplinary Arts Research at UGA and a master's student in Theatre and Film Studies before joining Collins Aerospace. Free and open to the public via Zoom registration.
---

2. a2ru National Conference: Land and Equity
Begins October 15, 2020
www.a2ru.org/events/2020-a2ru-annual-meeting/

As an a2ru partner institution, UGA will cover registration costs for a limited number of a2ru conference participants. If you are interested in attending please contact [log in to unmask] before registering.

The Alliance for the Arts in Research Universities (a2ru) invites you to the 2020 a2ru national conference, Land and Equity: The Art and Politics of Place, to be held online and hosted by the University of Wisconsin - Madison, October 15-30, 2020. All sessions will be held via Zoom. The a2ru National Conference is an opportunity for practitioners and researchers from across the higher education spectrum to share innovations and perspectives in the arts.

The 2020 theme, Land & Equity, considers how our work as artistic, scientific, and humanist researchers and educators is defined by the land on which we find ourselves, and asks who has access to that land and its resources? In turn, we will examine how our art, research, and teaching impacts the places and spaces in which we live and work, and discuss ways that we can use that work to advance more equitable access.

This year's conference features special registration pricing for this virtual experience. Attendees will also have the option to register for an unlimited session pass or for individual sessions or keynote presentations.

a2ru advances the full range of arts and design-integrative research, curricula, programs, and creative practice from across the disciplines in order to acknowledge, articulate, and expand the vital role of higher education in our global society. a2ru's work, in partnership with more than 35 research institutions, envisions a world in which universities -- students, faculty, and leaders -- explore, embed, and integrate the arts in everyday practice and research. The a2ru National Conference is an opportunity for practitioners and researchers from across the higher education spectrum to share innovations and perspectives in the arts.
---

3. Arts+STEM Graduate Workshops: Creativity, Collaboration, and Environmental Problem Framing

If you are interested in participating in physically distanced and/or online workshops for Fall 2020, or future workshop offerings, please complete this brief survey: http://bit.ly/gradwrkshp

For more information visit: http://cicr.uga.edu/creativity/
---

4. Artists for Democracy: Amir H. Fallah
Tuesday, September 22 at 8 PM
https://www.artists4democracy.com/

The Dodd Galleries has partnered with Artists 4 Democracy to bring a series of lectures in which artists talk about their work and why they vote.

Amir H. Fallah creates paintings, sculptures, and installations that utilize personal history as an entry point to discuss race, representation, the body, and the memories of cultures and countries left behind. Through this process, the artist's works employ nuanced and emotive narratives that evoke an inquiry about identity, the immigrant experience, and the history of portraiture.

Fallah received his BFA in Fine Art & Painting at the Maryland Institute College of Art and his MFA in painting at the University of California, Los Angeles. He has exhibited extensively in solo and group exhibitions across the United States and abroad. Selected solo exhibitions include the Museum of Contemporary Art in Tucson; South Dakota Art Museum, Brookings SD; Schneider Museum of Art, Ashland OR; San Diego Art Institute; and the Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art, Overland KS.
---

5. American Indian Returnings (AIR) Talk Featuring Writer Jennifer Elise Foerster
Thursday, September 24 at 4:30 PM
Zoom link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84547525169

UGA English Department Eidson Distinguished Professor in American Literature LeAnne Howe, with the Creative Writing Program, presents writer Jennifer Elise Foerster (Mvskoke (Creek) Nation). Foerster received her PhD in English and Literary Arts at the University of Denver and her MFA from the Vermont College of the Fine Arts, and is an alumna of the Institute of American Indian Arts (IAIA). She is the recipient of a National Endowment for the Arts Creative Writing Fellowship, a Lannan Foundation Writing Residency Fellowship, and was a Wallace Stegner Fellow in Poetry at Stanford University. Foerster teaches in the IAIA Low Residency MFA Creative Writing Program and at The Rainier Writing Workshop. Foerster is the author of two books of poetry, Leaving Tulsa (2013) and Bright Raft in the Afterweather (2018), both published by the University of Arizona Press. Foerster was also included in The Georgia Review's special feature "Un-Redacted: A Census of Native Land."
---

6. Lecture: Johanna Drucker
Friday, September 25 at 1 PM
Registration:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJYtc-iqpz4tHN0_yYRMvMi8FlNhYLfMao1_

"Rethinking Assumptions: The Current Value(s) of Academic Work," Johanna Drucker, Distinguished Professor and Breslauer Professor, department of information studies, UCLA. Hosted by the Office of the Provost, the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts, the UGA Libraries, and the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences.

Drucker is internationally known for her work in the history of graphic design, typography, experimental poetry, fine art, and digital humanities. Events of the last half year have changed the way we work. They have also shifted the frameworks within which we conceive of the value(s) of the intellectual activities to which scholars have long been committed. Social and economic impacts on higher education are apparent, no matter where one sits on the ideological spectrum. Six months ago, this talk would have focused on visual epistemology, digital humanities, aesthetics and other issues crucial to knowledge production. Now it feels urgent to address the very foundations on which we frame and justify the work we are doing. Drawing on personal and professional experience, this talk is an invitation to think collectively about the values on which our work proceeds.
---

7. Lecture: Tony Cokes
Monday, September 28 at 7 PM
zoom meeting iD: 979 7498 8866

Tony Cokes lives and works in Providence, Rhode Island, where he serves as a professor in the Department of Modern Culture and Media at Brown University. Recent exhibitions include the Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts, Harvard University, Cambridge; Goldsmiths Centre for Contemporary Art, London; The Shed, New York; Bergen Kunsthall, Bergen; the 10th Berlin Biennale, Berlin; Hessel Museum, Annandale-on-Hudson; Whitechapel Gallery, London; ZKM, Karlsruhe; REDCAT, Los Angeles; SFMOMA, San Francisco; the Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; Pera Museum, Istanbul; and the Louvre, Paris.
---

8. Global Play Brigade
https://www.globalplaybrigade.org/

In March of 2020, when it became clear that Covid-19 was turning into a worldwide pandemic, a gathering of about 40 performers, improvisers, educators, musicians, clowns, therapists and coaches across the world began meeting over Zoom to see if we might be able to be of organized support and help to our fellow human beings as we weathered this crisis together. Join a global group of "Brigadiers" including UGA faculty and students, Dr. Melisa Cahnmann-Taylor, Dr. Jerry, Gale, and Kathleen McGovern who play together through this crisis.  Join free zoom programming to playfully see if we can contribute to growing an initiative/movement geared to creating a new world in the face of the clear failure and fissures of the old.
---

9. Athens Creatives Directory
https://athenscreatives.directory

Athens Creatives Directory is an online hub of Athens creatives to promote the local creative economy. This new resource was developed in cooperation with the Athens-Clarke County Economic Development Department, CREATE Athens (the Arts and Culture workgroup of Envision Athens), and many other local organizations. Visit https://athenscreatives.directory to add your listing or see the work of local artists.
---

10. Wild Rumpus Virtual Art Show
Call for Artists
Deadline: October 1
https://www.tinyathgallery.com/wild-rumpus-art-show

The Athens Wild Rumpus, in collaboration with tiny ATH gallery, has an exciting new Call for Artists for the first ever Wild Rumpus Virtual Art Show! We are calling Athens artists of all ages to submit up to 5 artworks for consideration for this virtual experience! The theme for this year is "MAGICAL," so show us all of your magical spaces, places, beasties, creatures, landscapes and more!! There is no limit to how far MAGIC can take you!

Proceeds from works sold will be paid to the artists, with percentages of sales benefitting Wild Rumpus and 2020 non-profit charity, Food2Kids and tiny ATH gallery. There will be a $10 entry fee per work with the hope of making next year's downtown event even more epic!
---

11.The Defiance Project
Call for Entries
Deadline: October 31
https://www.mortontheatre.com/the-defiance-project

The Morton Theatre Corporation invites Black and African-American identifying artists to submit short films or studio art pieces responding to the Black Lives Matter Movement and/or depicting the lives or history of Blacks and African-Americans in America.

Artists are invited to submit either studio art creations or short narrative or documentary films, filmed poetry readings, music performances, dance performances, or time-lapsed studio art presentations.  A jury will select up to 10 projects to each receive a $500 cash award.
---

12. Campus Sustainability Grants
Deadline: November 16
https://sustainability.uga.edu/grants

Funded by the Student Green Fee, grants up to $5,000 are available to current UGA students who wish to implement projects to advance sustainability on campus and in our local community. Special consideration will be given to interdisciplinary projects that advance equity and incorporate the arts.
---

13. Willson Center Department-Invited Artist or Lecturer Program
Deadline: rolling
https://willson.uga.edu/opportunities/fellowships-grants/willson-grants-awards/

The Willson Center Department-Invited Artist or Lecturer program supports speakers during the current academic year who would not fall into the distinguished artist or lecturer category, but whose expertise can nonetheless contribute significantly to illuminating current discussions in the field as well as enhance student learning. Due to COVID-19, the Department-Invited Artist or Lecturer program for academic year 2020-21 will provide for a $200 matching award to support a virtual presentation. Proposals are accepted on a rolling basis and considered at the first of each month. Funding is contingent on overall merit of the proposal and the availability of funds.
---

14. ArtPlace America Virtual Summit
October 26-30
https://artplacesummit.org

This year, ArtPlace America culminates a decade of work as part of an extraordinary community of artists, community developers, culture bearers, designers, government officials, philanthropists, and researchers who have come together from rural, suburban, Tribal, and urban communities across the United States.

We are coming together at a moment of nearly unprecedented crisis and opportunity: COVID-19, nationwide uprisings against police brutality and systemic racism, a looming election that will determine the direction, and possibly the fate, of our democracy. It's a crucial time for conversations on the issues facing our communities and our field, and a time to hear from national and local leaders of the ongoing effort to enlist arts and creativity in the work of making our communities healthier, safer, more joyful, and more just.
---

Ideas for Creative Exploration is an interdisciplinary initiative for advanced research in the arts at UGA, supported in part by the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School, and the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts.

ice.uga.edu
facebook.com/ideasforcreativeexploration

For more events and opportunities visit:

a2ru.org
art.uga.edu
arts.uga.edu
athica.org