ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Mark Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2021 08:42:21 -0400
ICE Announcements 3.29.21
http://ice.uga.edu
---

1. Idea Lab Mini Grants CFP
2. Creative Placemaking Symposium (4/1)
3. Text Analysis Workshop Series (4/1)
4. Elevate: Minority Short Film Festival (4/10)
5. Webinar: Interdisciplinary Practice and Collaboration (4/13)
6. Torrance Festival of Ideas (4/23-25)
7. Opportunity: CURO Research Assistantship (deadline 4/7)
8. Opportunity: Office of Sustainability Artist in Residence (deadline 4/12)
9. Opportunity: Earth Day 2021 Art Challenge (deadline 4/15)
10. Opportunity: Penn Center Artist Residency (deadline 4/26)
11. Opportunity: a2ru 2021 Conference (deadline 5/21)
12. Opportunity: Georgia Sea Grant  (deadline 5/31)
---

1. Idea Lab Mini Grants
Call for Proposals
No deadline
http://ice.uga.edu/grants/

Idea Lab, a UGA student organization dedicated to fostering interdisciplinary creative collaboration, is offering up grants up to $500 each to support projects and team formation. Recipients of Idea Lab mini grants will receive mentorship and feedback from Idea Lab members. Proposals will be reviewed by an interdisciplinary selection committee in order of receipt, pending availability of funds.

Proposal requirements:

- brief description of project goals (up to 150 words)
- team should include at least one currently enrolled UGA student

The Idea Lab Mini Grant Program is supported by Ideas for Creative Exploration, an interdisciplinary initiative for advanced research in the arts at UGA. Ideas for Creative Exploration is supported in part by the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts, Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, and the Graduate School.
---

2. Creative Placemaking Symposium
Thursday, April 1 from 9 AM - 2:20 PM
https://cacm.kennesaw.edu/architecture/events/cpm_symposium-2021.php

The Kennesaw State University Architecture Department is pleased to host the 2021 Creative Place Making Symposium in a virtual format exploring the multidimensional nature of equitable and inclusive places by art and design through the lens of local and global urban projects.
---

3. Text Analysis Workshop Series
Thursday, April 1 at 4 PM
http://bit.ly/textseries2

Text Analysis Basics
Instructor: Katie Kuiper, Ph.D. candidate in linguistics

This series of workshops will show participants their options to analyze text at scale. These sessions are open to all and are intended for beginners. No experience necessary.
---

4. Elevate: Minority Short Film Festival
Saturday, April 10 at 8 PM
UGA Parking Lot E01

UGA's Black Theatrical Ensemble presents the event of the semester -- Elevate: Minority Short Film Festival! The festival is dedicated to showcasing the talent of minority filmmakers at UGA and in the Athens community. Please join us for a drive-in screening of nominated films on April 10 at 8 PM at parking lot E01 by the Intramural Fields. We look forward to celebrating these amazing films with you -- you don't wanna miss this!! Concessions will be provided by Rashe's Cuisine and the Lil' Ice Cream Dude, and the first 150 guests eat free!!!
---

5. Bringing It Together: Interdisciplinary Practice and Collaboration
Tuesday, April 13 at 7 PM
https://creative-capital.org/events/bringing-it-together-interdisciplinary-practices-in-the-arts/

How can interdisciplinary artists use their "generalist" skill set to benefit them in a range of roles across various arts institutions? Sheetal Prajapati and Creative Capital Awardee Pablo Helguera have spent much of their careers conceiving of and organizing public programs with curators, academics, and artists at museums. In this free online conversation, the two discuss their paths working across the field and among creative disciplines, and how this multiplicity of "identities" supports and speaks to their larger practices today.
---

6. Torrance Festival of Ideas
Friday, April 23 - Sunday, April 25
https://mfecoe.shorthandstories.com/FestivalofIdeas2021/index.html

Registration for this event is free and is limited to the first 1,000 attendees.

The Festival features 21 speakers from across the globe who explore themes and questions relevant to creativity, imagination, art, music, humor, empathy, consciousness, wellbeing, mindfulness, childhood, aging, education, equality, data, identity, healing, health, crisis, curiosity, innovation, entrepreneurship, authenticity, political resistance, and sociocultural change. The spirit of Athens will also be showcased, with spotlights on local non-profit organizations that serve the community in creative and crucial ways.

We are encouraging people of all ages and backgrounds to participate in a creative challenge exploring the theme, "Reflections on 2020." We are seeking submissions of creative contributions through April 1.
---

7. CURO Research Assistantship
Deadline for Summer: April 7
https://ugeorgia.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4HnF7PtW66Kzjtr

The CURO Research Assistantship supports experiential learning opportunities that only a major research university can provide. Each year, as part of an initiative to enhance the UGA learning environment, the CURO Research Assistantship Program provides 500 stipends of $1,000 each to outstanding undergraduate students across campus to actively participate in faculty-mentored research.
---

8. Office of Sustainability Artist in Residence Intern: Pollinator Project
Deadline: April 12
https://sustainability.uga.edu/student-programs/internships/

The Office of Sustainability Artist in Residence (AiR) is a non-traditional position designed to infuse creativity into on-going Office of Sustainability (OoS) programs and activities, promote collaboration between artists and other disciplines, engage the campus community in new ways, and give artists an opportunity to explore ideas and develop work related to sustainability.  The AiR will spend up to 10 hours each week at the Office of Sustainability in the Chicopee Building, where they will embed in the Campus Pollinator Project and develop at least one creative project that engages the campus and/or community (such as workshops, exhibitions, performance, intervention, etc.). The AiR receives support and resources from the OoS, with guidance from the Social Ecology Lab and Ideas for Creative Exploration. All arts disciplines are encouraged to apply. This internship will last both Fall and Spring semesters.
---

9. Earth Day 2021 Art Challenge
Deadline: April 15
https://sustainability.uga.edu/community-engagement/art-challenge/

In an act of unity, partnering organizations are collectively calling on the UGA and Athens community to reflect, embody, and create artworks in alignment with the goals of Envision Athens' 2021 Year of the Good Neighbor. Prompt: Create a work of art that celebrates and inspires good neighbors - caretakers of people and the planet - to establish a more unified, equitable, prosperous, and compassionate community. All people are eligible and all art mediums that can be experienced online are accepted. Awards offered in three categories: Appreciation, Awareness, and Action.
---

10. Call for Submissions: Penn Center Artist Residency
Deadline: April 26
http://www.penncenter.com

Penn Center, one of the nation's most important institutions of African American culture and history, invites submissions for an artist residency program, which is offered in partnership with the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts at the University of Georgia, and made possible by the support of The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

Applications can be made by individual artists, or by a collective in a single submission. Proposals can be in any media (visual/ sonic/ literary/ performance), but must relate to the histories and cultures of the Gullah Geechee Cultural Heritage Corridor in contexts of the theme, "Civil Rights and Social Justice." The residency will be held during the period September 1, 2021 - June 30, 2022, subject to pandemic safety protocols.

To be selected, projects must engage with, or partner with, one or more of the Sea Island communities. Projects may also build from material or archival holdings in Penn Center, or other relevant museums, archives, or collections. Outcomes -- readings, exhibitions, performances or installations -- will be mounted at Penn Center, or another suitable site, which may be in coordination with the annual Penn Center Heritage Festival.

Each year the artist residency offers:
- An honorarium of up to $10,000
- Materials and exhibition support of up to $15,000
- Travel, accommodation, and subsistence support of up to $5,000
- These costs may be shared among a group of artists if a collective application is chosen.
---

11. a2ru 2021 Conference Sharing Stories: The Case for Art
Conference dates: November 3-5
Proposal deadline: May 21
https://www.a2ru.org/events/a2ru-2021-conference-sharing-stories-the-case-for-art/

Over the last twelve months, we have seen a range of sources acknowledge the powerful importance of the arts, particularly in the Covid era. As arts practitioners and leaders, we embrace our role in this unprecedented moment, even as we continue to rethink our disciplines, how our methods have changed during this time, and what the future of the arts might look like.

The Alliance for the Arts in Research Universities (a2ru) will use this year's online conference to meet this unique moment in a uniquely artful way. We will engage and explore how we can best deploy what we hope has not changed -- our passion for the arts, for arts education, and for arts integration -- through storytelling, rather than traditional conference presentations. We invite participants to connect their research and/or practice with their preferred storytelling method and explain how the arts, arts education, arts advocacy, and/or arts integration are important, particularly in this moment. We especially welcome STEM researchers and practitioners who can use storytelling to demonstrate the power of arts integration in their field.

a2ru also acknowledges that not all forms of art are viewed equally. In addition to proposals that make the case for the importance of art in the Covid era, we welcome proposals that advocate for a re-examination of which arts, as well as which artists, are viewed as important in the field overall.

Storytellers will present their case for the importance of the arts in a short -- approximately five minute -- creative nonfiction story format. Live stories should be told, and not read. Storytelling can also take any number of creative forms: acting, film, painting, sand animation, sculpting, song, spoken word poetry, etc. We also encourage performances, such as dance, music, puppetry, etc. Performers may submit a narrative to accompany their performance, but this is not necessary. Group narratives are welcome. Additional time will be allotted as needed. Regardless of format choice, all submissions are subject to the criteria listed below.

We will prioritize proposals that have an interdisciplinary focus, and we stress that this call is open to the full range of disciplines, including but not limited to: art, design, engineering, humanities, medicine, public health, and the sciences. a2ru also encourages proposals that include empirical and/or qualitative evidence. Finally, as we recognize the unique way that artistic practice contributes to knowledge, and because this year's conference format calls for a shift away from our "default settings," we encourage submissions that are not only about the arts, but are themselves instantiated through the arts.
---

12. Georgia Sea Grant Artists, Writers and Scholars Program
Deadline: May 31
https://gacoast.uga.edu/research/funding/aws-program/

Georgia Sea Grant strives to strengthen artistic voices, and enhance Georgia's profile as a place where artists, writers and scholars can live and thrive while offering fresh perspectives on our coastal resources. Georgia Sea Grant's Artists, Writers and Scholars (AWS) program will support artists, writers, and scholars in the humanities to produce professional-quality art and literature that increases awareness of Georgia's coastal, ocean and marine environments, improves understanding of Georgia's coastal communities, or helps document history, culture, or heritage of Georgia's coast. Creative projects that could be supported by this program include paintings, graphic art, sculpture, musical compositions, photography, poetry, science fiction, film, and digital media.

Georgia Sea Grant will award 3-5 grants that range from $1,000 to $5,000. These grants will be awarded directly to artists and writers.

Eligibility
Artists, writers or scholars who live in Georgia and whose work is related to Georgia's coastal, ocean and marine environments will be eligible for funding consideration.

Georgia Sea Grant encourages applications from individuals from historically marginalized groups, including Black or African-American, American Indian, Hispanic or Latino, female, first-generation college students, veterans, LGBTQ+ and individuals with disabilities.
---

Ideas for Creative Exploration is an interdisciplinary initiative for advanced research in the arts at UGA, supported in part by the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School, and the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts.

ice.uga.edu
facebook.com/ideasforcreativeexploration

For more events and opportunities visit:

a2ru.org
art.uga.edu
arts.uga.edu
athica.org