ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Mark Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 2020 12:39:14 -0400
ICE Announcements 4.27.20
http://ice.uga.edu

*Opportunity: Arts+STEM Graduate Workshop for fall 2020*

1. Sustainable UGA Semester in Review (4/29)
2. Reading Room: Careers in the Arts
3. Opportunity: a2ru National Conference CFP (5/1)
4. Opportunity: Athens Artist in Community Grants (deadline 5/20)
5. Opportunity: Arts Writers Grant (5/20)
6. Opportunity: Eyebeam Project Grants (deadline 5/21)
7. Opportunity: U.S. Student Fulbright Program (deadline 9/8)
---

*Arts+STEM Graduate Workshop*
Creativity, Collaboration, and Environmental Problem Framing

Are you a graduate student in an Arts or STEM discipline with an interest in environmental issues and interdisciplinary engagement? This workshop series is just for you!

For more information visit: http://cicr.uga.edu/creativity

This series of twelve 3-hour workshops will be offered in spring and fall semesters, and will feature creative activities including writing, collage, movement, and group problem-solving. The series is designed to be fun and thought-provoking and will not require work outside of the meeting times. Enrollment for 2 credit hours (ICON 8500) is optional.  Participants should be full-time graduate students, and will be expected to participate in the full series. Space is limited each semester.
---

1. Sustainable UGA Spring 2020 Semester in Review
Wednesday, April 29
https://sustainability.uga.edu/

Celebrate virtually with a gallery of selected art works from the Earth Day 2020 Challenge and a series of 60-second videos from Office of Sustainability interns.
---

2. Reading Room: Careers in the Arts: Who Stays and Who Leaves?
SNAAP Special Report for Spring 2020
By Alexandre Frenette and Timothy J. Dowd

"Our research reveals a new class of arts school graduates: 'the generalists.' SNAAP survey data have long confirmed the intuition that double majors combining a major in the arts with one outside the arts are less likely to stay in the arts as a career, compared to respondents with only a single arts major. However, much less intuitively, compared to arts-based workers who are more prone to specialization, graduates who expand the number of artistic occupations in which they have worked (what we call "generalists") are much more likely to stay in the arts."

Source: Strategic National Arts Alumni Project (SNAAP)
Link: http://snaap.indiana.edu/pdf/SNAAP_Special%20Report_Spring2020.pdf
---

3. Call for Proposals
a2ru National Conference "Land and Equity: The Art and Politics of Place"
October 15-17, 2020
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Deadline extended: May 1
https://www.a2ru.org/events/2020-a2ru-annual-meeting/

The Alliance for the Arts in Research Universities (a2ru) invites proposals for the 2020 a2ru national conference, "Land and Equity: The Art and Politics of Place," to be held at the University of Wisconsin - Madison, October 15-17, 2020.

The a2ru National Conference is an opportunity for practitioners and researchers from across the higher education spectrum to share innovations and perspectives in the arts.

The 2020 theme Land & Equity considers how our work as artistic, scientific, and humanist researchers and educators is defined by the land on which we find ourselves, and asks who has access to that land and its resources? In turn, we will examine how our art, research, and teaching impacts the places and spaces in which we live and work, and discuss ways that we can use that work to advance more equitable access.

TRACK ONE: Land and equity: the art and politics of place

Topics in Track One connect more directly with the 2020 conference theme through the lens of the arts, design, and interdisciplinary teaching, and/or research and practice. Presentations and workshops should contribute to the conference by addressing one of the following themes or related issues: sustainability, environmental art, indigenous art, site-specific art, land activism, art-based community development, maps/boundaries/ways of defining place, public art, and artistic expressions of refugee/migrant experiences.

TRACK TWO:  The arts and design in research universities

Topics in track two are broadly concerned with creating and supporting work, developing tools, and presenting ideas about the arts and design in the context of academic research and teaching cultures. Presentations and workshops should contribute to the conference by addressing one of the following themes: modes of   collaboration; interdisciplinary stewardship; equity; campus amplification and departmental engagement; promotion and tenure; and insights, cultures of evidence, impacts case-making, and dealing with data.
---

4. Athens Cultural Arts Commission
Artist in Community Grants
Deadline: May 20
http://www.athensculturalaffairs.org

The application form for the 2020 Artist in Community Grants is now available.
We are proud to be able to support our artists during these challenging times!
Awardees will receive $1,500 each.
Download the fillable PDF AICG Application form here:
https://bit.ly/2zg1sJQ

Application Deadline is May 20 at midnight.

- All media and genres are eligible.
- Groups as well as individuals may apply.
---

5. The Arts Writers Grant Program
Deadline: May 20
https://www.artswriters.org

The Arts Writers Grant Program was founded in 2006 to recognize the precarious situation of arts writers, and their indispensable contribution to a vital artistic culture. As the COVID-19 outbreak further threatens the cultural and arts writing landscape, the Arts Writers Grant Program is grateful for the Andy Warhol Foundation's continued support to once again offer an open application.

The Arts Writers Grant supports emerging and established writers who are writing about contemporary visual art. Ranging from $15,000 to $50,000, these grants support projects addressing both general and specialized art audiences, from short reviews for magazines and newspapers to in-depth scholarly studies. Writers are invited to apply in one of the following categories: article, book, or short-form writing.

The Arts Writers Grant Program is funded by The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts and administered by Creative Capital.
---

6. Rapid Response For A Better Digital Future
April 21, 2020 - May 21, 2020
https://www.eyebeam.org/rapidresponse/

We're asking artists to generate ideas and actionable projects that enact solutions for rebuilding digital systems, and improving the overlap and interplay between them and lived, social experience. For the first time in Eyebeam's 20 year history, we are pausing our flagship Residency program. Instead we're launching a new program, Rapid Response for A Better Digital Future. Grounded in the belief that artists have the most impactful and culture-shaping ideas, this fund is intended to support projects that are most responsive and potentially groundbreaking in building a better digital world. We aim to fuel new means for creating space for deep contemplation and imagination, asking not only what can be built for tomorrow, but what should be built for a sustainable and thriving next 10 or 20 years.

Rapid Response for A Better Digital Future was born from conversations with artists and advisors at the outbreak of the global pandemic and will unfold in two phases. In the first, planning/idea stage, twelve $5,000 grants will be made available for top applications, gathered through a free open call, open from today until May 21st. Phase 1 applications will be selected by a jury of Eyebeam staff, alumni, and advisors. In the second, project/development phase, three of those recipients will be awarded up to an additional $20,000 to build their ideas into actionable projects, based on their potential for real-world impact. The twelve participants will form an active cohort of practitioners, encouraged to collaborate between phases. Regular and robust virtual communication, expert consultation, skill sharing, and group critique and conversation will be provided to all of the supported artists, facilitated by Eyebeam.

The guiding question for this call is: how do we begin to exit surveillance capitalism as the dominating form of digital life and what can replace it?
---

7. U.S. Student Fulbright Program 2021-2022 Competition Announcement

Are you interested in pursuing a Fulbright grant for year-long independent research, study, creative pursuits, or an English Teaching Assistantship abroad?

The U.S. Student Fulbright Program 2021-2022 competition opened April 1, 2020, and the campus deadline is September 8, 2020. Note to undergraduate juniors -- if you want to go abroad on a Fulbright the year after graduation, this is the time to apply. Seniors and graduate students are also very welcome to apply. The competition is open to U.S. citizens who will have, at minimum, a bachelor's degree completed by spring 2021.

A series of virtual information sessions and workshops, as well as individual advising appointments, will be offered by UGA beginning mid-May.

To be added to the student Fulbright listserv and get more information about upcoming Zoom sessions and advising, students should fill out this form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfZ91PizhP5qIE5S3vB4qX5Sl4IpC1PcyBBaZicaXnP2O5-sA/viewform?usp=sf_link

Direct questions to UGA's Fulbright Program Adviser, Maria de Rocher, at [log in to unmask]

The U.S. Student Fulbright Program's website is at http://us.fulbrightonline.org/.
---

Ideas for Creative Exploration is an interdisciplinary initiative for advanced research in the arts at UGA, supported in part by the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School, and the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts.

ice.uga.edu
facebook.com/ideasforcreativeexploration

For more events and opportunities visit:

a2ru.org
art.uga.edu
arts.uga.edu
athica.org