ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Mark Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:23:38 -0500
ICE Announcements 1.26.10
http://ice.uga.edu
---

1. Lecture: The Dawn of Recording (1/26)
2. Lecture: Guerra de la Paz (1/26)
3. VOX Reading (1/26)
4. The Shape of Things (1/26-31)
5. ICE-Vision: Naked Lunch (1/28)
6. Lecture: On the Origins of Cinema (1/28)
7. ATHICA Essayist & Curator Walk & Talk (1/28)
8. Reading by Poet Kevin Prufer (1/28)
9. Arthur Gonzalez: Opening and Workshops(1/29)
10. Jewelry and Metalsmithing Open House (1/29)
11. Humanities Roundtable (2/1)
12. GSA Interdisciplinary Conference (deadline extended 1/31)
13. Cine Screenings and Events

More listings at: http://iceannouncements.com
---

1. Humanities for Scientists Lecture: The Dawn of Recording "Unearthing Sounds from the 1800's"
Speaker: John Maltese
Tuesday, January 26 at 4 PM
171 Miller Learning Center

Sponsored by the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts, the Hugh Hodgson School of Music.
---

2. Guerra de la Paz Lecture
Tuesday, January 26 at 5:30PM
Lamar Dodd School of Art Room S151

Guerra de la Paz is the composite name that represents the creative team efforts of Cuban born
artists, Alain Guerra and Neraldo de la Paz. We began working as a collective in 1996 when we
decided to share a studio in Miamis Little Haiti. It has evolved into an ongoing collaboration that
has grown by way of experimentation and constant dialog, combining two contrastive
personalities to form a single entity with a visual language that conveys a universal message
referencing the many different dimensions of the human experience. Although it has been a great
influence, by no means do we feel bound to what we amass from around our studio. And though
repurposing the ready-made remains a dominant factor in our method, it is important to maintain
our aesthetic and have found incorporating other materials to be inevitable. Weather new or old,
handmade or manufactured, the main objective is to realize our concepts to the fullest. Deviating
from our painting backgrounds, we apply this principle to our entire process and choose to not
limit ourselves to any one style or technique, integrating a diverse range of work into a definitive
shared vision.
---

3. VOX Reading: Orlando White and Sonya Huber
Tuesday , January 26 at 8 PM
Cine

On January 26, Poet Orlando White and Essayist Sonya Huber will read at CINE at 8 PM as part of
this year's VOX Reading Series.
---

4. The Shape of Things by Neil LaBute
January 26-31 at 8 PM and January 31 at 2:30 PM
Cellar Theatre - Fine Arts Building

When Adam, a shy, awkward college student, meets the confident and beautiful artist Evelyn, he
soon finds himself out of his depth in a passionate affair. Evelyn just has a few suggestions about
how to improve Adam. How far would you go for love? For art? In true LaBute fashion, the
shocking, disturbing climax of Adam and Evelyns relationship challenges our most entrenched
ideas about the shape of things.
---

5. ICE-Vision: Naked Lunch (David Cronenberg, 1991)
Thursday, January 28 at 8 PM
Lamar Dodd School of Art Room S150

Film Studies major Will Stephenson continues ICE's informal weekly series, selecting a variety of
world cinema classics and subcultural curiosities.

"This David Cronenberg masterpiece breaks every rule in adapting a literary classic, but justifies
every transgression with its artistry and audacity. Adapted not only from William S. Burroughs's
free-form novel but also from several other Burroughs works, the film is a complex and highly
subjective portrait of Burroughs himself (expertly played by Peter Weller) as a tortured sensibility
in flight from his own femininity, proceeding zombielike through an echo chamber of projections
(insects, drugs, typewriters) and repudiations. According to the densely compacted metaphors
that compose this dreamlike movie, writing equals drugs equals sex, and the pseudonymous
William Lee, as politically incorrect as Burroughs himself, repeatedly disavows his involvement in
all three. With Judy Davis and Ian Holm. R, 115 min." -Jonathan Rosenbaum, Chicago Reader
---

6.  Lecture: "On the Origins of Cinema: 19th Century Science and Animated Pictures"
Speaker: Richard Neupert, theatre and film studies
Thursday January 28 at 4 PM
265 Park Hall

Sponsored by the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts.
---

7. Essayist & Curator Walk & Talk for the exhibit Nurture: Video and Photography by Amy Jenkins
Thursday, January 28 from 7 - 8 PM
ATHICA: Athens Institute for Contemporary Art, Inc.
Free!
www.athica.org

ATHICA: Athens Institute for Contemporary Art invits you to join Guest Essayist Mary Jessica
Hammes and Curator & ATHICA Director Lizzie Zucker Saltz in a discussion of Jenkin's works &
their relationship to parenting and societal attitudes about breast feeding & non-sexual nudity.
The exhibit marks three firsts for ATHICA: it is our first focusing on the personal yet universal
issues of parenting and breast-feeding, our first large-scale video-art exhibit, and our first full-
run solo artist exhibition.* The works, curated by ATHICA Artistic Director Lizzie Zucker Saltz, are
from Jenkins' stunning Cradle series, in which the artist films herself and members of her family in
order to reveal salient aspects of familial relationships. In the artist's words: "Visceral and
emotional, these personal narratives offer a window into intimate life, where the commonplace
becomes surprising and unexpected." We are delighted to be hosting Jenkins' first solo exhibition
south of Kentucky, which follows two decades of the New Hampshire-based artist's exhibiting at
national and international museums and galleries.

Gallery hours are: Thursdays: 6:00 - 9:00 p.m., Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays: 1:00 - 6:00 p.m.
and by appointment.
---

8. Reading by Poet Kevin Prufer
Thursday, January 28 at 7 PM
Cine

Prufer, the author of four books of poetry including National Anthem (2008), will read from his
work. Prufer is the editor of Pleiades: A Journal of New Writing, associate editor of American Book
Review and vice-president/secretary of the National Book Critic's Circle. 7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Cine, 234 West Hancock Avenue. Sponsored by The Georgia Review, the Georgia Poetry Circuit.
---

9. @LAST: Ceramics by Arthur Gonzalez
Reception: Friday, January 29 at 7 PM
Gallery 307
Lamar Dodd School of Art

WORKSHOP/DEMO
Thursday Jan. 28 & Friday Jan. 29th
9:00-12:00
(in ceramics studio on Jackson Street.)

The Lamar Dodd school of Art is pleased to be exhibiting the ceramics of Arthur Gonzalez in
2010. Dark, somber and foreboding, Arthur Gonzalez's works encourage serious deliberation and
reflection on the relationship between personal concerns and world issues. Raw in form, lacking in
smoothness and rough in finish, the ceramic sculptures give glimpses of a conversation or a
contemplation in progress. Gonzalez's creations of ceramic and found objects reveal visions and
feelings that are not polished but ongoing processes of gyrating thoughts and churning emotions
that threaten to erupt into reality and consciousness to defy the fantasy of a peaceful experience.
---

10.  Jewelry and Metalsmithing Open House
Friday, January 29 from 8-10 PM
Cedar Street Art Annex

Student work from intro to graduate level courses will be exhibited. Food and beverages will be
provided.
---

11. Willson Center Roundtable Discussion
Monday, February 1 at 4 PM
148 Miller Learning Center

William Chace, former President of Emory University, presents a lecture followed by a roundtable
discussion on the question "Where Have all the Humanities Majors Gone?" Panelists also include
Doug Anderson (English), Dana Bultman (Romance Languages), Alan Godlas (Religion), Bethany
Moreton (History), and Hugh Ruppersburg (English) who will moderate. Sponsored by the Willson
Center for Humanities and Arts.
---

12. GSA Interdisciplinary Conference
Saturday, March 27
Submission Deadline extended to January 31

Because additional students want to participate in the GSA conference the deadline to submit
abstracts has been extended. We wish to emphasize that ALL disciplines and fields are invited and
we are accepting very broad and creative interpretations of "health." In addition, we are accepting
abstracts for research in any stage, whether it is completely finished and published, in progress,
or a future research proposal. We look forward to all the submissions. Please e-mail us if you
have any additional questions at [log in to unmask] To find more information about how
to submit abstracts, please visit our conference website at:
sites.google.com/site/ugaconferencesite/home.
---

13. Cine Screenings and Events
http://athenscine.com

That Evening Sun
Broken Embraces
Fantastic Mr. Fox

Benefit Screening - Tue/Thu 1/26,28: A Friend Indeed: The Bill Sackter Story
20th Annual Mental Health Benefit:
- Artist Exhibit & Reception  Sun 1/24
- Screening: A Friend Indeed  Tue/Thu 1/26,28
- Art Auction  Sat 1/30
Plotluck Story Nite- Wed 1/27