ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
UGA Arts Collaborative <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2023 12:17:20 -0400
UGA Arts Collaborative
9.12.23
---

1. Expression of the Superorganism (opens 9/14)
2. Symposium On The Book (9/12-13)
3. "Cultivating the Wild" Screening (9/12)
4. Lecture: Melinda Beck (9/13)
5. 2023 Food, Power, and Politics Lecture (9/19)
6. Creative Capital Artist Lab (9/21)
7. NEA Call for Panelists
8. Spotlight on the Arts 2023 Design Competition (deadline 9/15)
9. 4'33" Competition (deadline 10/19)
10. a2ru National Conference (10/19-21)
---

1. Expression of the Superorganism
September 14-October 1
Opening reception: Thursday, September 14 from 6-8 PM
Lamar Dodd School of Art Bridge Gallery
https://art.uga.edu/dodd-galleries

Expression of the Superorganism is an exhibition of visual art created by Red Imported Fire Ants in collaboration with artist Jiayi Guo and biologist Haolin Zeng. In the seemingly boundless expression of the superorganism, art created by ants features a post-humanist element, where the aesthetic dimension of being for humans and ants is one of cooperation rather than conflict.

Solenopsis invicta, or Red Imported Fire Ant is considered to be an invasive pest, commonly found in the southeastern United States.

Jiayi "Eva" Guo is a doctoral student in Art Education. She holds a BFA in Ceramic Art and an MFA in Art History from the Central Academy of Fine Arts in China. She is an art educator and artist focusing on de-colonialism, public education, and animal studies.

Haolin "Horace" Zeng is a postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Entomology. He studies the collective behavior and evolution of social structure in Red Imported Fire Ants. Horace earned a Ph.D. from the University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign, where he served as the president of a vintage and manual photography club.

Expression of the Superorganism is supported in part by the UGA Arts Collaborative, an interdisciplinary initiative for advanced research in the arts.

For more information about the project, visit:
https://gzstudio.org
---

2. Symposium On The Book Events
September 12-13
Special Collections Libraries
https://www.english.uga.edu/events/symposium-on-the-book-events

This two-day event unites talks from book historians and practicing book artists, featuring a plenary address by artist Suzanne Coley and panel featuring special guest Jennifer Low, an early modern scholar and apprentice book artist. The symposium will demonstrate the diversity and range of contemporary book arts and book history.

Faculty Panel
Tuesday, September 12 at 11 AM

Join three experts in pre-modern book and textual history -- Drs. Sargan, Mattison, and Jacobson -- as they share scholarship on new ways to read medieval and Renaissance book bindings through Queer and Trans theory, attention to fragments, and historical fantasies about binding.

Plenary: Suzanne Coley
Tuesday, September 12 at 2 PM

Suzanne Coley's main artistic fields are printmaking, poetry, and book arts. She has pioneered the style of book making called "couture textile books," combining precision and intentionality of design with bold experimentation and abstraction. Over the past fifteen years, Suzanne has merged couture sewing techniques with embroidery and poetry in her art. Suzanne's fine art textile books are in the permanent collection of the Smithsonian Institution (National Museum of African Art Library), The Folger Shakespeare Library, and the National Museum of Women in the Arts.

Faculty Panel with Featured Guest Jennifer Low
Wednesday, September 13 at 11 AM

Drs. Iyengar and Low's talks will respond to Coley's work by analyzing further the relationship between Shakespeare and contemporary book arts and artists' books. Dr. Benedict's talk brings a new perspective to the medieval and early modern papers by attending to artists' books from contemporary Latin America.

Masterclass with Cynthia Camp
Wednesday, September 13 at 1:50 PM

Dr. Camp's masterclass will focus on a curious Book of Hours held by UGA's special collections libraries that combines different localized artistic and religious traditions in the later Middle Ages.
---

NEA Call for Our Town Panelists
https://www.arts.gov/form/volunteer-to-be-a-national-endowment-for-the-arts-panelist

National Endowment for the Arts panelists play a central role in reviewing applications for funding. We rely on panels composed of individuals who represent a broad range of artistic and cultural viewpoints, as well as wide geographic and ethnic diversity, to provide advice about the artistic excellence and artistic merit of proposals in a variety of funding categories. We are recruiting panelists now for NEA Our Town, for application review taking place in late November and early December 2023. The commitment is roughly 40 hours of work over a six-week period.

https://www.arts.gov/grants/our-town
---

3. "Cultivating the Wild" Screening & Panel Discussion
Environmental Ethics Certificate Program Seminar Series
Tuesday, September 12 at 5:30 PM
Jackson Street Building room 125
https://ced.uga.edu/eecp/news_and_events/

Dorinda Dallmeyer, former director of the Environmental Ethics Certificate Program, and an accompanying panel will break down and discuss the documentary "Cultivating the Wild" following a screening of the film. "Cultivating the Wild" focuses on six Southerners committed to reclaiming the nature of the South through art, science and culture.
---

4. Lecture: Melinda Beck
Wednesday, September 13 at 1 PM
Lamar Dodd School of Art room S151
https://melindabeck.com

Melinda Beck is an illustrator, animator, and graphic designer who has had the pleasure of working for such clients as 2K Games, Harper's Magazine, The New York Public Library, Nickelodeon, Nike, The New Yorker, The New York Times, Random House, the Southern Poverty Law Center, Target, Time Magazine, and the U.S. Postal Service. Recent projects include a series of stamps for the US Postal Service commemorating the 50th anniversary of the passage of TITLE IX, an eighty-foot mural for Mural Arts Philadelphia, a series of murals for the teen center of the newly renovated Mid-Manhattan New York Public Library on 42nd St. and 5th Ave., and the children's book We Are Shapes, which she wrote and illustrated.
---

5. 2023 Food, Power, and Politics Lecture
Tuesday, September 19 at 5:30 PM
Special Collections Libraries
https://www.libs.uga.edu/events/2023-food-power-and-politics-lecture

The fourth annual Food, Power, and Politics Lecture features Maurice Bailey, president  and CEO of Save Our Legacy Ourself (SOLO), a non-profit based on Sapelo Island. Bailey will discuss the revival of heritage crops and the preservation of the culture, heritage, and traditions of the Saltwater Geechee people on Sapelo Island.

Bailey is a ninth generation Sapelo Island resident, son of Cornelia Walker Bailey and great-great-great-great-great grandson of Bilali Mohammed. Along with his mother, he started the revival of heritage crops on Sapelo Island. He currently serves as president and chief executive officer of Save Our Legacy Ourself (SOLO), a non-profit based on Sapelo Island, which is focused on reviving agriculture with the mission of preserving the culture, heritage, and traditions of Saltwater Geechee people on Sapelo Island. SOLO also works on land retention and climate change mitigation planning on Sapelo Island. Bailey is also the co-director of UGA's Cornelia Walker Bailey Program on Land and Agriculture. His advocacy has been covered in many magazines and media outlets.

Nik Heynen will moderate the event. Light reception to follow.
---

6. Artist Lab: Low-Stress Networking for Artists with Meredith Talusan
Thursday, September 21 at 1 PM
Zoom
https://creative-capital.org/events/artist-lab-low-stress-networking-for-artists-with-meredith-talusan/

Networking can feel stressful for many artists, especially at a time when we feel ever-increasing pressure to pitch and promote our work. How can we as artists build community in ways that utilize our own specific strengths and tendencies, and reframe networking activities in ways that feel good to us? Join 2023 Creative Capital Awardee Meredith Talusan and Director of Artist Initiatives Aliza Shvarts for an Artist Lab to discuss the ins and outs of low-stress artist networking.
---

7. NEA Call for Our Town Panelists
https://www.arts.gov/form/volunteer-to-be-a-national-endowment-for-the-arts-panelist

National Endowment for the Arts panelists play a central role in reviewing applications for funding. We rely on panels composed of individuals who represent a broad range of artistic and cultural viewpoints, as well as wide geographic and ethnic diversity, to provide advice about the artistic excellence and artistic merit of proposals in a variety of funding categories. We are recruiting panelists now for NEA Our Town, for application review taking place in late November and early December 2023. The commitment is roughly 40 hours of work over a six-week period.

https://www.arts.gov/grants/our-town
---

8. Spotlight on the Arts 2023 Design Competition
Deadline: September 15
https://art.uga.edu/spotlight-arts-2023-design-competition

The inaugural Spotlight on the Arts 2023 Student Design Competition is sponsored to select an original design that may be used on the 2023 art festival T-shirts as well as other promotional materials such as stickers, magnets, mugs, tote bags, etc. The winning design will be the exclusive design for the 2023 festival and would not replace the festival's logo.

Awards include $500 for 1st place, $125 for 2nd place and $75 for 3rd place. The award funds will be paid directly to student accounts. The Spotlight on the Arts 2023 Design Competition is sponsored by the Lamar Dodd School of Art and the UGA Arts Council.
---

9. 2023 Call for Participation: Spotlight on the Arts LIVE Research Competition 4'33"
Deadline: October 19
https://arts.uga.edu/4minutes33seconds/

 This competition highlights UGA student research in the arts and provides an opportunity to win award funding and to share creative inquiry with peers, faculty, administrators, and alumni throughout the university community. The competition is open to any graduate or undergraduate student working on an advanced project related to the literary, visual, or performing arts. On Tuesday, November 14, finalists will present their research in talks exactly four minutes and thirty-three seconds in length. Awards include $433 for the grand prize winner and $150 for three runners-up.
 ---

10. 2023 a2ru National Conference
October 19-21
Penn State University
https://a2ru.org/event/2023-national-conference-whats-next-imagining-new-educational-futures-for-ourselves-our-communities-and-our-planet/

*As an a2ru member institution, UGA students, faculty, and staff are eligible for reduced registration rates.*

"What's Next?: Imagining New Educational Futures for Ourselves, Our Communities and Our Planet"

The a2ru national conference is an opportunity for practitioners and researchers from across the higher education spectrum to share innovations and perspectives in the arts. a2ru advances the full range of arts and design-integrative research, curricula, programs, and creative practice to acknowledge, articulate, and expand the vital role of higher education in our global society.

a2ru's work, in partnership with an international network of leading higher education institutions, envisions a world in which universities -- students, faculty, and leaders -- explore, embed, and integrate the arts in everyday practice and research.

This will be an in-person conference, and remote participation will be an option for many sessions.
---

The UGA Arts Collaborative is an interdisciplinary initiative for advanced research in the arts at the University of Georgia, supported in part by the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School, and the Willson Center for Humanities and Arts.

http://arts-collab.uga.edu

For more events and opportunities visit:
http://calendar.uga.edu/