ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Mark Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 13:35:29 -0500
ICE Announcements 2.9.04
<http://ice.uga.edu>
---
1. ATHICA Virtual Art Gallery
2. Athens Film Foundation Launch
3. GMOA Lecture: Three Studio Artists
4. Troika Ranch Workshops
5. Stephanie Dotson featured on www.servicio-ejecutivo.com.
---
1. ATHICA: Athens Institute for Contemporary Art, Inc. presents:
Virtual [log in to unmask] v.3: B e a u t y    a n d     t h e    B e a s t

A Collection of New Media Artwork
                             curated by Didi Dunphy

Athens Institute for Contemporary Art is pleased to announce the launch of
its third collection of online artwork created specifically for the Internet
medium, the Virtual Art Gallery, which is curated by Athens' artist Didi
Dunphy. Ms Dunphy reviewed 35 submissions before deciding on the five sites
included in Virtual [log in to unmask] v.3. This incarnation of ATHICA's Virtual
Art Gallery has a thematic focus (as did Dunphy's first online curatorial
project for ATHICA, What I Did on My Summer Vacation).

The theme of Virtual [log in to unmask] v.3 is Beauty and the Beast. To quote
the curator's statement: "After another consumer saturated holiday month --
where I am to become enchanted with each charming toy or shiny jewel stacked
high in the monster modern village square, The Mall -- I instead set out to
find Beauty in art on the web. While the web may be 'The Mall' on everyone’s
desktop, a virtual Beast, sublime Beauty can also be discovered in these
artists' online artistic endeavors."

We hope you will log on to <http://www.athica.org> and enjoy exploring the web for
non-utilitarian purposes. We at ATHICA look forward to future iterations of
our semi-annual Virtual Art Gallery, and to continuing our relationship with
Ms Dunphy as its curator. We would also like to acknowledge the excellent
labors of our volunteer website manager, Andrew Hollingsworth.

For Virtual [log in to unmask] v.3. Ms Dunphy has chosen "five web projects that
are smartly conceptual and lusciously visual."
---
2. The Athens Film Foundation is hosting a Launch Party:
Friday 13th
February 2004
8pm - 11pm  AFF Launch Party & Membership Drive
11pm - 2am  Dance Party* w/the Baxterstreet Boyz
@Tasty World Upstairs

Please join us to network with other film & digital artists and professionals
and learn more about how to get involved with the Foundation by becoming a
member or sponsor...

Throughout the evening, we will be screening a special collection of vintage
home movies, circa 1940’s South Georgia, courtesy of the UGA Library Media
Archive.

The Dance Party* starts at 11pm with the one and only Baxterstreet Boyz
[*$4 cover - or FREE with your AFF membership!]

What is the Athens Film Foundation?
AFF is a new non-profit membership organization created to promote & support
the production, exhibition & public awareness of independent film, video &
digital media arts in the Athens community.  Upcoming plans include screenings,
workshops, networking events and the revival of an annual film festival.

For more information, please visit our website at
<http://athensfilmfoundation.org>
---
3. Lecture: Three Studio Artists from UGA: Stefanie Jackson, Imi Hwangbo and Laleh Mehran.
Sponsored by the Georgia Museum of Art. Three nationally recognized women artists will
introduce their art through slide or video presentations. 10:45 AM - 11:45 AM. Georgia Museum
of Art. Contact: <http://www.uga.edu/gamuseum>, 542-4662 .
---
4. Troika Ranch Live-I Workshops 2004
    Brooklyn, New York / USA

  June 7 - 11 / June 14-18, 2004

http://troikaranch.org/livei.html

==================================

First Week - Software / Sensors / Technology - June 7-11 2004, 10am - 4pm
Second Week - Aesthetics and Creative Expression - June 14-18 2003, 10am - 4pm

Application Deadline: March 15th, 2004
Notification of Acceptance: March 22nd, 2004
Payment Due: April 5th, 2004

New York City based dance theater company Troika Ranch will present its Live-Interactive (Live-I)
Workshop, an intensive seminar for artists and advanced students who want to explore the use of
interactive computer technology in the creation and performance of dance, theater, installation,
and related live artworks. The workshop will take place from June 7-18, 2004 at Williamsburg Arts
Nexus (WAX) in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, one subway stop from Manhattan. Application deadline for
the workshop is March 15th, 2004.

Led by composer/media artist Mark Coniglio and choreographer Dawn Stoppiello, Artistic Co-
Directors of Troika Ranch (http://www.troikaranch.org), the Live-I Workshop allows students to
explore strategies and techniques for combining interactive digital media and live performance.
Participants will learn to use software and hardware that links their gestures and vocalizations to
interactively controlled video, sound, light and other digital media, leading to the creation of a
short study over the course of the workshop. This hands on aspect will be complimented by an
introduction to the aesthetic and compositional concerns that arise when using interactive digital
tools, including critical discussions about how the technology itself shapes the form and content
of an artwork.

Students will learn Isadora® (http://www.troikatronix.com/isadora.html) as the primary software
tool for authoring, though they are welcome to bring other software (MAX, NATO, etc.) if they are
comfortable in those environments and can bring their own copy. (Please let us know if you plan
to do this.) In all cases, participants will learn what is necessary to create their studies during the
workshop: basic programming skills, video and audio capture, and how to manipulate the media
with software.

We will be selecting ten participants for each workshop. The application deadline is March 15th.
You will be notified of your acceptance no later than one week after the deadline.

To apply, please send or email Troika Ranch (see contact information below) one paragraph
explaining why you are interested in attending the workshop and one paragraph describing the
kind of work that you make. You should also briefly tell us about your level of expertise with
computers. Please include your name, address, telephone number and email address.

Participants may choose to attend only the first week. Those who have attended a past Live-I
Workshop may attend only the second. If you plan to attend the first or second week only, the cost
is US$400. If you plan to attend both, the cost is US$800.

NOTE: It is recommended that you bring your own laptop computer (Mac or PC) if possible. We
have a limited number of computers for use by the workshop participants. If you cannot bring
your own computer, you may be required to share a computer with one other participant. In
addition, if you can bring a digital video camera, you will find it useful. If you are able to bring
your own computer, please let us know the type, speed, and whether or not it has a FireWire (aka
iLink) port.

For further details, please visit:

  http://www.troikaranch.org/livei.html

Or, if you have questions, please email us at:

  mailto:[log in to unmask]

About Mark Coniglio, Dawn Stoppiello and Troika Ranch

Dubbed "interactive performance pioneers" by the New York Times and "multimedia mavericks" by
the Village Voice, composer Mark Coniglio and choreographer Dawn Stoppiello founded Troika
Ranch in 1994 to create works that fuse traditional elements of dance, music and theater with
interactive computer technology and media.Their recent evening length work "Future of Memory"
was awarded the Time Out New York Dance Audience Award at the 2003 Downtown Dance and
Performance ("Bessie") Awards in New York City.

Troika Ranch has performed throughout the United States and Europe, at venues including
Monaco Dance Forum, Monte Carlo, Monaco, The Duke on 42nd Street, The Kitchen and Joyce
Soho, all in New York City; the Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota, and the Art and Culture
Center of Hollywood Florida, among others.

They have taught the Live-I Workshop at numerous institutions in the United States and abroad.
European hosts have included Contredanse (Brussels, Belgium), FACT (Liverpool, England), and
Dartington College (Devon, England). In North America, the workshop has been taught at Brown
University, Oberlin College, University of Maryland, the Santa Fe Art Institute, and InterAccess in
Toronto.

Coniglio and Stoppiello both received their degrees from California Institute of the Arts, where
Coniglio was a student of electronic music pioneer Morton Subotnick. After graduating, Stoppiello
danced professionally for the Bella Lewitzky Dance Company. Coniglio has taught Interactive Music
Composition at CalArts and New York University and Stoppiello has taught on the dance faculties
of Loyola Marymount University, Idyllwild School of Music and the Arts, and Universtiy of Maryland,
Baltimore County.

=================================
Application & Contact Information
=================================

Mark Coniglio and Dawn Stoppiello
Troika Ranch
321 Graham Ave. #4R
Brooklyn, NY 11211
voice: +1.718.218.6775
fax: +1.718.218.8135
email: mailto:[log in to unmask]
web: http://www.troikaranch.org
---
5. Congratulations Stephanie Dotson (MFA candidate, Printmaking. She is the featured artist on
<http://www.servicio-ejecutivo.com>
---
Check out ICE news, an expanding "projects" section, and more at <http://ice.uga.edu>