ARTS-COLLAB Archives

UGA Arts Collaborative

ARTS-COLLAB@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Carmon Colangelo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:37:04 -0500
text/plain (2836 bytes) , text/enriched (3487 bytes) , Call for ideas2.doc (27 kB) , Mission3.doc (25 kB) , Mission3.doc (25 kB) , text/plain (25 kB) , text/enriched (25 kB)
Committing Voice
Interdisciplinary Art in a New Millennium

Goddard College Interdisciplinary Artists Conference

Rest/Reflect/Recharge/Recommit:

Call for ideas

The Goddard Community invites interdisciplinary artists, interested in
participating in a conference open to all voices, to submit proposals
for workshops, readings, performances, showings and other types of
public events. The organizers welcome artistic contributions in a wide
variety of forms and formats.

Please submit suggestions by email to: [log in to unmask]

Please be sure to include a brief (200-300 word) description, a list of
any material and/or space requirements, and a brief artist bio.

The deadline for suggestions will be April 30th 2003.

Following is the mission of the conference.

<<Join artists from across New England and around the world as they
explore interdisciplinarity and contemporary art practices at the first
Goddard College Interdisciplinary Artists Conference. This conference /
retreat will allow participants to expand their core art practices
through a variety of presentations, workshops, discussions, and
restorative activities. This gathering will foster an exchange of
resources and strategies for creating spaces for progressive,
interdisciplinary art-making within an environment that nourishes the
artist intellectually, spiritually and pragmatically.

Based on a participatory model of learning, this event seeks to
actively question the notion of “expert and audience” by inviting all
participants to engage in dialogue as both artists and as citizens.
Participants will be encouraged to share their unique perspective,
present and discuss their own work, and benefit from the feedback of a
supportive audience of peers.

This year’s conference will feature Carol Becker, addressing the
question of the artist as citizen.

The conference will be held at Goddard College, Plainfield, VT, from
August 4th to August 8th 2003.

For more information about the conference, to register, or for
questions, visit our website at: , email , or call Paule Bezaire at
(802) 454-8311 X265.

Goddard is a small college in rural Vermont for plain living and hard
thinking. Founded in 1863, Goddard is recognized for innovation in
education. Its mission is to advance the theory and practice of
learning by undertaking new experiments based upon the ideals of
democracy and the principles of progressive education first asserted by
John Dewey. Goddard's students are regarded as unique individuals who
take charge of their own learning and collaborate with other students,
staff, and faculty to build a strong community. Goddard encourages
students to become creative, passionate, lifelong learners, working and
living with an earnest concern for others and for the welfare of the
Earth.

(Sponsored by Goddard Community and Alumni Association, and Brown
University)>>